3/10/2010 NSC Meeting minutes(draft)
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:45 AM

                               District 10 Neighborhood Safety Committee Meeting

                                                          Street Car Station

                                                    March 10, 2010  7:00 pm

 

                                               Meeting Minutes (unapproved)

 

Members present: Dolores Rufenacht

 

Staff/interns present:

Rhonda Debough Insook, Josh White, Nick

 

Others(members) attending: Jon Knox, Marcy Micek, (Metro State Nursing  Students) ; Kim Pegelow,  Kelly Selke, Candace Unger.

 

I. Call to Order by Dolores Rufenacht  7:05 p.m.

 

II. Review, Amend , Approve Agenda.

Agenda amended and approved.

 

III: New business amended to be discussed first.

·        The Walk and Talk program of new business was moved up on the agenda to be discussed before other reports.

1.      The Nursing students in attendance gave a presentation on their Community Health and Safety Assessment of the Como Park Community.

2.      Discussed our strengths and weaknesses

3.      Presented their goal and plan to address the weaknesses

·        April 10 they will plan a walk around Como lake , starting and finishing at the Street Car Station. The students will give a brief talk about nutrition, health and community services available. There will be blood pressure screening, nutrition booth and representatives from senior services in the area.

·        District 10 will co-host the event. Rhonda will check about permits for walk and food.

 

III. Reports

·        Josh Witte (D!) Safety officer) reported on Western district meeting  and the recent rise in house burglaries and other crime stats. It is believed the SPPD caught one of the suspect but are not sure if he is responsible for the other cases.

·        Rhonda reported that the District 10  Neighborhood Safety/Crime Prevention Program Fiscal year 2010 Problem Response/Work Plan is almost done. Marsha is working on the last section and Marcy will follow up on checking on when it will be completed.

·        Josh reported and presented t-shirt Logo’s HHH Job Corp students had designed.

He will get three quotes on prices for printing the t-shirts.

 

 

 

 

IV. Action items

 

·        Dolores will write a formal letter for collecting donations from local business for donations for future events

·        We will get local bikers involved with Bike event and find one of them to work on map of a safe bike route for District 10 area.  Also check out  www.smart-trips.org

·        July 23-25 a neighbor hood Stay-ca-tion is planned. Friday July 23 kick off for NNO at N.W. Como. July 24 art Crawl, July 25 Community Bike Ride. Need to get local bike shop involved, Bill Sylvester to get a  presenter to talk, serve ice Cream?, figure out budget for staff hours needed.

·        Paint the pavement events will be planned August –Sept.

V. Other discussion items

·        NNO – SPPD kick off for block club leaders is June. We will talk to Pam CcCleary about their needs of volunteers from our District. .

       

      VI Adjournment

              Meeting adjourned at 8:17

 

 

      Respectfully submitted by , Dolores Rufenacht

 

 

 

 

 

                                 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC