Minutes - 12/2009
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:50 AM


District 10 Neighborhood Safety Committee Meeting

D10 Office, Street Care

December 9th, 7:00 pm

 

Meeting Minutes

 

Members present:  

Karl Koch (Chair), Dolores Rufenacht

Members absent: None

 

Staff/interns present:

Rhonda DeBough Insook, Josh Witte

 

Others (members) attending:  None

 

I. Call to Order by Karl, 7:00 p.m.

 

II. Review, Amend, Approve Agenda

Agenda approved unanimously as amended.  Rhonda requested time to discuss grant proposal.

 

III. Reports

·         Karl Koch reviewed NSC activities over the past year.  Group discussed success and areas for improvement

·         Josh Witte gave report on Block Club leaders including plan for January’s Block Club Meeting.  Josh will be contacting D10 beat cop to see if he can be in attendance at that meeting.

V. Action Items

·         Rhonda presented NSC with opportunity for COPP grant request related to “Share the Road” safety principles.  Group agreed that this would be a worthwhile endeavor.  Grant request deadline is December 18th.  Karl Koch committed to writing up grant request draft and submitting to Rhonda by Monday, December 14th.  Dolores R. agreed to assist with this.  Rhonda will then review and forward to grant writer (Becky).

·         Karl Koch submitted NSC safety article for D10 newsletter for approval.  Group reviewed and approved with amendments.  Article will be forwarded to Communications committee within one week.

·         NSC will place Work Plan discussion and action items on hold, pending instruction and guidance from Executive Committee.

VI.  Other Discussion Items:

·         Group discussed Safety Committee’s history of poor participation and relevancy in our community.   Discussed refocusing committee and narrowing in on 2 or 3 areas of emphasis for the next year.  Areas of emphasis discussed included National Night Out, Block Clubs, and grant request. 

·         National Night Out was discussed.  Dolores R. brought up need for increased D10 participation with NNO Kickoff event.  Group agreed.  Group agreed that NNO planning should be initiated sooner in the year.  Possibility of incorporate a D10 “Safety Game” for kids at NNO was discussed.  More discussion to follow at future meetings.

·         Josh Witte (D10 crime prevention officer) will continue to attend Western District meeting and monitor crime stats.  Josh will bring any relevant crime issues to NSC.  NSC will shift focus off crime stats toward above mentioned initiatives.  Current crime stats were discussed.  Chair noted number of reported “Thefts” had more than double since last report.  Josh agreed to check into this with Western District.

·         Pending grant approval, January’s NSC meeting will focus on “Share the Road” grant discussion.

VII.  Adjournment

Meeting adjourned 8:45 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted, Karl Koch (Chair)

 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC