District 10 Como Community Council
Board Meeting, 7:00 p.m., January 16, 2007
Streetcar Museum, 1224 N. Lexington Parkway
1. Chair Sarah MacRunnels called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. Board members in
attendance were: Jillian Ierien, Tony Schaps, Dennis O’Rourke, Nathan Volz, Bart
Polasek, Jeremy Lostetter, Luke Kuhl, Sihoya Cotner, Kay Plese, Greg Hrncirik and
Sharon Frisell. Billy Dinkel, Nancy Sabin and Jennifer Flint were excused.
2. A motion was made to amend the agenda to strike item 9, the motion was approved, and
the amended agenda was approved.
3. The November, 2006 financial report was approved. The December report was tabled
due to accounting firm’s omission of December, 2006 income of approximately $10,400.
4. The staff report was read and discussed. The crime statistics report was reviewed,
SPPD surveillance of burglary problem is continuing in the southwest corner of the
5. Mike Hahm, Como Campus Manager, did an overview of Campus operations, their 2007
budget and upcoming activities and goals. In 2007 and beyond the campus will be
working towards an enhanced gorilla and polar bear displays, hopefully construction will
begin by 2010- 2012, respectively. The campus will also be working with Eureka and
Public Works to initiate a recycling program. Mr. Hahm also discussed a 2-3 year
extension of Lancer’s lease as a way for Lancer to recoup for over- budget expenditures
for Como Town. The Parks Department is also working to implement a visitor shuttle
system and upgrades to the Bonsai Garden. Mike also talked about a possible problem
with the seal show. At this time the show is on the cusp of compliance with USDA
Jackie Sticha, Director of the Como Zoo and Conservatory Society (CZ and S) did an
overview of the Society. The Society is a 501c3 non- profit, as such they have their own
staff and board members. The Society partners with Parks on campus projects and short/
long term planning. The Society also funds several programs, events and conservatory
staff. They make small grants for items such as animal scales, banners and fund parts of
much larger projects.
6. The 2007- 2008 CIB task force process was discussed. Brian Tucker, a member of
the Land Use Committee will represent District 10 on the Residential and Economic
Development committee. Tom Olesak, an architect and Como resident, has volunteered
to serve on the Community Facilities committee, Greg Hrncirik will serve as his
alternate. There are no representatives to the Streets and Utilities committee.
7. Resolution EI0116071, recommending approval for the Events and Institutions
committee comments on Como Parking Task Force recommendations, was passed. A
letter of support for this resolution will be sent to Bob Bierscheid, Mike Hahm and the St.
Paul Parks Commission.
8. Brief committee reports were made.
9. The meeting was adjourned at 9:05 p.m.