Minutes - 2/2010
Monday, February 15, 2010 8:20 AM


District 10 Neighborhood Safety Committee Meeting

D10 Office, Street Care

February 11, 7:00 pm

 

Meeting Minutes (Unapproved)

 

Members present:  

Karl Koch (Chair), Dolores Rufenacht

Members absent: None

 

Staff/interns present:

Rhonda DeBough Insook, Josh Witte

 

Others (members) attending:  None

 

I. Call to Order by Karl, 7:00 p.m.

 

II. Review, Amend, Approve Agenda

Agenda approved.

 

III. Reports

·         Karl Koch reported on meeting with Russ Stark’s office regarding ‘Share the Road’ COPP grant.  Karl also reported on meeting with Executive Committee and discussing NSC goals for 2010.

·         Josh Witte (D10 Safety Officer) reported on Western District meetings.  Reports that thefts from autos in Como Park and burglaries in Burlington apartments remain top crime issues in D10.

IV. Action Items

·         Petition for Stop sign at the corner of Grotto and Cottage in Sub-District 1.  Sub-district 1 residents have started a petition for a stop sign to be placed at the corner of Grotto and Cottage due to concerns of speeding on Grotto.  Neighbors on both sides of this issue have contacted D10/NSC.   NSC discussed issue and agreed to take neutral position on topic.  Staff will continue to facilitate any communication regarding topic through D10 blasts.

·         Share the Road’ COPP grant was discussed at length.  Per Russ Stark’s office request the budget was trimmed from $3,500 to $2,500.   Rhonda will ask Becky to amend grant request to reflect this change and then re-submit.  It was decided that the first ‘Share the Road’ event would be a D10 bike ride and the date of May 23rd was targeted.  This would involve an organized community bicycle ride through the district ending at Street Car Station with an ice cream social and short ‘Urban Bicycling’ presentation.  Action items for this month included designing logo for t-shirt for event (Josh Witte).  Rhonda agreed to check on any permits required for such an event.  She also agreed to check on speaker for ‘Urban Bicycling’ presentation.  NSC members will reach out to local business asking for donations for t-shirts for event.  Karl agreed to contact Fund Development chair and ask about formalizing a letter/process for donation requests.  More to come.

Future event/workshop ideas included Pedestrian Safety and Paint the pavement.

·         NSC charter development was discussed briefly.  Karl and Rhonda will meet this month and come up with draft for NSC charter that will be presented at next month committee meeting.

V.  Other Discussion Items:

·         Sub-district 3 residents have voiced concern about neighborhood security during the State Fair.  It was suggested that increased neighborhood patrolling might increase security.  Josh Witte agreed to bring this topic up at the next Western District meeting.  He will then report back to NSC.

·         Rhonda brought up the D10 “Art Crawl.”  She stated that Art Crawl was a good opportunity to bring neighbors together which was in context with the NSC goals.  She planned on encouraging the Art Crawl participants to partner with the NSC.  More to come.

VI.  Adjournment

Meeting adjourned 8:20 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted, Karl Koch (Chair)

 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC