DISTRICT 10 COMO COMMUNITY COUNCIL
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
Historic Streetcar Station, 1224 North Lexington Parkway North, Saint Paul, MN 55103
Wednesday, March 3, 2010,
Directors present: Chris Harkness, Jon Knox, Marcy Micek, Marsha Milgrom
Staff present: Rhonda DeBough Insook
Others present: Panod Klongtruatroke
1. The meeting was called to order and agenda approved at .
2. City Contracts
The city contract has been updated for 2010 but lacks detail on inclusivity matrix. Milgrom questioned how to set inclusivity targets without a baseline – what had been done the previous year? There was question of whether District 10 could/should submit the contract outcomes absent the matrix. Micek will contact former Chair David Arbeit to obtain a copy.
3. Community Organizer Updates/Discussion Items
- Year end reports are complete.
- Several event plans are underway. Most immediately, an April 10 census ceremony, teamed with walking club event, needs volunteers. Block Clubs and nurses have organized this. There will be a May 15 garage sale event, pending enough volunteers. Also a July 24 Art Crawl, July 23 National Night out and possible July 25 bike ride, organized by Safety Committee. The idea is to bundle these July 24-26 weekend events into a neighborhood “staycation.”
- Safety Committee Chair Karl Koch has resigned from board and is moving out of district.
- $2,500 has been received from Councilmember Helgen’s office for COPP activities. Community Organizer recommends equipment purchase. Suggestion from Executive Committee members that an email or note be sent to the Councilmember’s office informing them of this intended use of funds; though they are flexible without restrictions, a heads-up would be nice.
- Community organizer has requested: a) a salary raise from $16 to $18/hour, effective within the next few months; and b) backpay for volunteer hours worked September through November 2009. Board Chair Knox requested documentation for these hours prior to any consideration.
- a draft of the duties of current bookkeeper (5 hours/week) was distributed.
4. Secretary Milgrom presented an action item to conduct a review of current Human Resources policies, which were last reviewed in 2005. In 2009 additional policies were added. The goal would be a concerted, time-limited effort to recommend any changes in HR policy, with possible use of a limited, paid HR consultant and, to the extent helpful, City District Council staff.
5. The 2010 budget was presented as draft. Discussion regarding any salary raises, particularly without having a more complete HR policy review. There is no current guiding framework for compensation, which is a function of several factors. More discussion about staffing structure, as it creates interplay/tension with budget. Executive Committee questioned how communications are handled – via both volunteer community members and staff – what has changed in the past months and how many staff FTE’s are needed. Also discussion about how much funding should year end balance be; some Executive Committee members thought it necessary to have a small amount. The budget presented by Micek assumes no ‘10 salary increases. Micek then created 2 budgets for consideration at the board meeting: one with and one without salary increases.
6. Board election. At the March board meeting two board members are sought. There are several candidates.
7. Land Use Chair Chris Harkness discussed the St. Patrick’s day variance at Gabe’s. The Executive Committee Approved Chris Harkness to write a letter in support of the Gabe's sound variance and outside service extension request for St. Patrick’s Day and following weekend tent.
The meeting was adjourned at
Submitted by Marsha Milgrom