A Yardstick for Fire Safety
Monday, December 07, 2015 11:20 AM

photo-candles.jpg
Saint Paul, like all of Minnesota, already has seen more fire deaths in 2015 than in 2014. This time of year can be particularly dangerous, the Saint Paul Fire Department says.
  • More people gather indoors
  • More people use their stoves and ovens more often
  • More people put up more candles and flammable holiday decorations
  • More people use extension cords for holiday lights and decorations
  • More people use space heaters more often
But there’s a simple yardstick – literally and figuratively – for fire safety. Obey the 3-foot rule. As in:
  • Keep space heaters 3 feet from anything that can burn.
  • Keep candles 3 feet away from anything that can burn.
  • Keep holiday decorations 3 feet from any fuel source.
Other smart ideas include:
  • Never burn gift wrap in a fireplace: It burns too hot and too quickly to control.
  • If cooking grease catches fire, do not use water. Instead, turn off the burner and smother the stovetop fire with a pan lid.
  • Never leave a hot stovetop, oven, or space heater unattended or running when you’re sleeping.

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC