Minutes June 2013
Thursday, January 9, 2014 5:20 PM

Neighborhood Relations, Safety & Operations Committee
Minutes
June 13, 2013
6:00pm Historic Streetcar Station
Members present: Mary Michalski, Ted Blank, Jackie Gulbranson, Laurie Erickson, Janna Caywood, Angie Sechler, Delores Rufenacht
 
I.      Meeting called to order at 6:05pm
II.     Como Fest Update
a.    Como Fest is the weekend of July 18-20
b.    The planning committee is meeting every two weeks
c.    Each day of the event is being planned by a different group
i.     Thursday is managed by Lyngblomsten
ii.    Friday is at NW Como rec center
iii.   Saturday logistics are still being worked out...D10 manages this...art festival, crafts, and garden tour. We still need a plan for how to get the tents set up.  we charge Saturday is at Holy Childhood;
d.    We need volunteers for Saturday and will ask board members at the upcoming board meeting
e.    Raised $2090 for ComoFest so far; sponsors include Linders, e-democracy, TCF, Topline credit union, Thrivent, Como Park Language Arts school and Como Park Grill
f.     ComoFest has a Facebook page and we could try to gather together some door prizes to entice people to like the page
g.    District10 will have a Como Fest flyer in the middle of the Monitor
III.    Como Business Network Event Planning
a.    Ted has received Responses from business owners who are interested in attending the event; 10 so far
b.    The event is on June 19 at 8am at Blackbear Crossings
c.    District 10 will provide coffee and pastries
d.    The agenda will be to brainstorm ideas for what this network will look like
e.    Ted will bring a flip chart
IV.   Fundraising 2013
a.    District 10 is a non-profit and gets the majority of it's funding from the city and the rest of it is fundraising
b.    We sent out a mailing last year; we need to think about whether we'll do this again; the postage cost quite a bit
c.    Saturday of Halloween we have traditionally held a pancake breakfast and we netted $200 last year
d.    Fundraising brainstorm:
i.     Market the pancake breakfast better
ii.    Bake sale, silent auction, chore raffle, home tour, progressive dinner, holiday lights, doors of Como, medallion hunt, silent auctions online, little library, rain barrel or bat house kit shop
iii.   Allina activity grant...active and social; Ted plans to apply for this
iv. We'll probably have the pancake breakfast on October 26
v.   We'll add this to next Months agenda
V.    St Paul Police (or Parks Police) Invitation; do we want to invite the police to some of our meetings in order to help build or foster a relationship between the committee and the department?
a.    The St Paul Police has monthly community meetings on Tuesday mornings; the same days as our board meetings (Ted attends as D10 representative).
b.    Precinct commander would want a specific topic to address if in attendance at one of our meetings; possibilities include:
i.     Data driven enforcement and resource allotment
ii.    A community meeting to get the houses near the state fair together with the State Fair police to discuss the increase in activity in the neighborhood. Crime prevention tips, possibility of organizing a citizen patrol of neighborhood residents during the event. Ted will touch base with the police department to see who they can send out
c.     Ted is going to arrange a visit to the 911 call center with a plan to include Block Leaders
VI.   National Night Out
a.    National Night out is the first Tuesday in August...August 6th...we will need to talk about what District 10 wants to do to help support NNO
b.    Giveaways like Glow Bracelets
c.    Information to help organize an event for your block like the application to close your street can be found online
VII. Other Business
a.    Let's try to set up some kind of block club recognition; possibly in spring of 2014
b.    Job corps has a quarterly luncheon; they're slightly smaller and are looking for opportunities for their participants
c.    Mike Hamm 651-266-6400; send him complaints / comments regarding the park
d.    Ted will set this up a group e-mail account for this committee
e.    The south parking lot by Lake Como now has cameras installed
f.     The hotline to call for graffiti is 651-266-8989
Meeting was adjourned at 7:50pm

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC