Measure Fire Safety by these Yardsticks
Friday, December 16, 2016 8:35 AM

fire-hydrant_in_snow.jpg
Give firefighters a chance: Shovel out your hydrant.

The period from Thanksgiving to New Year is the most dangerous for residential fires. Here are practical tips from the Saint Paul Fire Department to keep your friends and family safe:

  • Never leave a hot stovetop or oven unattended
  • If cooking grease catches fire, do not use water -- instead, turn off the burner and smother the stovetop fire with a pan lid
  • If you need additional heat, use an electric space heater; plug it directly into an outlet, not into an extension cord; and turn it off when you leave the room or go to sleep
  • Never use an oven to heat your home
  • Never burn gift wrap in a fireplace: It burns too hot and too quickly to control
  • Keep live Christmas trees, poinsettias, wreaths, and other festive decorations watered
  • Make sure holiday lights are in good shape; if they're not, don't use them

Finally, remember the "yardstick of safety":

  • Keep space heaters 3 feet from anything that can burn
  • Keep candles 3 feet from anything that can burn
  • If you have a hydrant near your house, shovel out a 3-foot radius so firefighters have quick access to a reliable water supply
  • Keep holiday trees and decorations 3 feet away from candles, fireplaces, and other sources of heat or flame

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC