District 10 Como Park Community Council
Boundary Change Ad Hoc Committee
Minutes – August 5, 2013
Attendees: Pete Bolstad (Co-Chair), David Arbeit (Co-Chair), Panod Klongtruatroke, William Lipkin
I. Review of Agenda/Minutes: The committee reviewed the agenda. We agreed to switch items 4 and 5 so we could talk about the maps before any discussion of the bylaws. The committee approved the minutes for the 7/15/13 meeting.
II. Posting of Minutes/Committee Documents: Pete indicated he still has not posted the minutes on the District 10 website. David suggested posting the Guiding Principles and the Charter along with the minutes.
III. Review of Maps/Discussion of Sub-districts: The committee reviewed the Demographic Profiles handout. David indicated he had difficulty configuring a five sub-district model consistent with the committee’s guiding principles. He pointed out that the population difference among the sub-districts was the most significant difficulty in adopting a five sub-district model. The committee agreed that the 4B or 4C models were preferable to 4A. The committee also agreed to “close” the idea of adding special seats for businesses and institutions.
IV. Review of Bylaws: The committee reviewed the bylaw sections highlighted by Panod for possible review. The committee agreed that, given current thoughts regarding sub-districts, few revisions would be need be made to the bylaws. We discussed the following ideas:
· Consider reaffirming in the bylaws that the boundaries of sub-districts would be reviewed after each census
· Maintain the idea of staggering terms of officers, at-large members and representatives for each sub-district
· Review the number of at-large members with the District 10 Board and the larger community. The committee agreed that the total number of representatives would be 15 or 17 depending on the final decision of the board.
· The committee reviewed strategies for ensuring that the South Como area is represented between January 1, 2014 – April 15, 2014. The options would be to hold a special election or having the Board Chair appoint representatives for the period between New Year’s Day and the District 10 Annual Election.
· Panod will contact Ted Scheu, former District 10 Board member, to review the by-laws prior to being voted on by the Board.
V. Presentation to District 10 Board/Public Presentation of Sub-districts/Bylaws: The committee agreed to present current ideas regarding sub-districts and recommendations to the District 10 Board at the August 20 Board meeting. The committee agreed to review our recommendations and proposals for the Board at our August 19 meeting. We also agreed to meet from 7:30 – 9 PM on 8/19/13.
Pete provided possible dates for the public meeting. The committee agreed to attempt to hold the meeting during the week of September 23 – September 27, 2013. The committee agreed that North Dale Recreation Center would be the preferred location for the meeting. Pete will work with Ted Blank on arranging for the date and location of the meeting.
Committee agreed to adjourn at 9 PM.