District 10 Como Park Community Council
Boundary Change Ad Hoc Committee
Minutes – June 17, 2013
Attendees: Pete Bolstad (Co-Chair), David Arbeit (Co-Chair) and Ted Blank (District 10 Administrator)
I. Review of 6/3/13 Minutes: The committee reviewed the minutes of the 6/3/13 meeting. Concerns were expressed about the information in two sections. Pete agreed to re-write those sections.
II. Executive Committee recommendations for the Guiding Principles:
The committee reviewed the Board discussion regarding the committee‘s guiding principles. The committee expressed concern about not being asked to be present for the discussion regarding changes to the guiding principles. Highlights of the discussion included:
· David proposed the committee agreed to continue with the process of looking at a variety of sub-district scenarios, including scenarios with four or five sub-districts.
· Ted suggested vetting sub-district scenarios with the Executive Committee prior to presenting the scenarios to the Board or the community at large.
· The committee agreed that we should have a permanent place on the agenda for upcoming Executive Committee meetings. The committee agreed that maintaining simplicity in the process was a primary concern for the Executive Committee.
III. Recruiting of New Members:
Ted reported that Bill Lipkin was the one community member to volunteer for the committee. The committee agreed to extend an invitation to Mr. Lipkin to join the committee and will look to add members in September 2013. Pete suggested asking Board members for specific suggestions of additional members.
IV. Sub-district Boundary Update:
David reported he will continue to look at possible scenarios pending clarification of the guiding principles from the Executive Committee.
V. Timetable for Committee Actions:
The committee reviewed actions to be taken in the next two months. Ideas introduced during the discussion were:
· Asking for time during the July 16 Board meeting to present various sub-district and by-law scenarios. The committee discussed having various maps for the Board to review. We also discussed the possibility of “break out” sessions.
· The committee agreed it was important to present a status report to the Board and ask for feedback on two or three questions.
· The committee was reminded of the Charter’s directive to bring a draft of the by-laws to the Board by August 15. The committee agreed to have proposals for the number of sub-districts, total size of the Board, ideas for the treatment of institutional members and the number of at-large members.
VI. District 6 update:
Ted reported that District 6 is willing to provide funding for the mailing of materials to residents/businesses in the South Como area.
Committee agreed to adjourn at 9 PM.