Minutes-04/21/2015

District 10 Como Community Council Board Meeting

Historic Street Car Station

1224 Lexington Parkway, Saint Paul, MN  55108

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

7:00 PM

MINUTES

I. Call to Order: Chairperson Jon Knox called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

II. Board Introductions:

Present: Jon Knox, Chris Harkness, Linda Hinderscheit, Debra Pursley, Pete Bolstad, Kim Moon, Mary Michalski, Ryan Flynn, Kevin Dahm, Joao Medeiros, Frank Dolejsi, Amy Perna and Tedd James

Absent: Patrick Tschida, Bill Lipkin, and Julie Tholen

Staff Present: Alison Kirgis

III. Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda:

Motion: Approve the agenda (Moon-Pursley) Passed

IV. COMMUNITY SECTION:

A. Board Chair Report: Jon Knox gave his last chair report in the form of a stand-up comedy act, summarizing his five years as board chair.

B. Treasurer's Report: Julie Tholen was not at tonight's meeting. The financial reports were in an addendum to the board packet (sent out via email today).

C. Annual Elections:

a. Chair: 

Motion: Elect Ryan Flynn as Chair of the District 10 Como Community Council by acclamation (Dahm-Michalski) Passed. 

b. Secretary: 

Motion: Elect Joao Medeiros as Secretary of the District 10 Community Council by acclamation. (Dahm-James) Passed.

c. Sub-district 1: 

Motion: Elect David Sorenson as representative for Sub-district 1 by acclamation (Dahm-Michalski). Passed

d. Sub-district 2: 

Motion: Elect Linda Hinderscheit as representative of Sub-district 2 by acclamation (Bolstad-Pursley) Passed. 

e. Sub-district 3:

Motion: Elect Frank Dolejsi as representative of Sub-district 3 by acclamation (Dahm-Flynn) Passed.

f. Sub-district 4: 

Motion: Re-elect Kevin Dahm as representative of Sub-district 4 by acclamation (Medeiros-Dolejsi) Passed.

g. At-Large: Frank Dolejsi and David Sorenson originally submitted their names for two of the open at-large positions, but were asked if they wanted to run for open Sub-districts 3 and 1 seats, respectively. There were no other nominations from the floor at tonight's meeting. There are currently three open at-large positions. 

D. District Plan Presentation: Chris Harkness, chair of the ad hoc committee, and Ted Blank have presented the draft of the District Plan to the board and community over the past several meetings. Based on discussions at those meetings, revisions have been made. An overview of the final plan was presented at tonight's meeting. 

E. Miscellaneous Community Discussion: None

V. BOARD BUSINESS SECTION:

A. Review/Amend/Approve Minutes and Financial Statements:

Motion: Approve tonight's financial statements and minutes of the 03/17/2015 meeting (Moon-Dolejsi). Passed.

B. 801 Front Avenue Presentation/Discussion: Patrick Ruble was at tonight's meeting to present the new owners' case for a parking requirement variance for a proposed trade school to train massage therapists at 801 Front Ave. The proposed faculty, student and client population would require 21 off-street parking spaces, according to zoning guidelines. There are 10 off-street parking spaces for a difference of 11 spaces. The church, which previously occupied the space, had been granted a parking variance for 8 spaces. The current requested variance is for 3 additional spaces. BZA has not yet issued a recommendation regarding the requested variance, but it is on their agenda soon. This issue has not yet been brought before the D10 Land Use Committee. There is a bus route on Front Avenue.

Motion: Request that the Board of Zoning Appeals postpone their decision for two weeks to a month so we can get more neighborhood input in order to make an informed decision regarding whether to support or oppose the parking variance request (Harkness-Moon). Passed. 

C. Staff Report: Alison Kirgis reported that Julie Tholen sent an email earlier tonight resigning her position on the Council and as Treasurer.  The business network breakfast went well; plans are for a quarterly breakfast meeting. Planning for ComoFest is going well. There was a meeting last week with the Fairgrounds administration regarding neighborhood concerns about events hosted at the Fairgrounds. The cars for the Back to the 50s event will not line up along Midway Parkway as they have in recent years. They will stage before the event in the State Fairgrounds parking lot across Como Ave. The Midway entrance to the Fairgrounds will be closed. The City grant application has been sent in. The printed newsletter will go out soon. There have been a large number of submissions in the past couple weeks for the neighborhood garage scale. Debra Pursley and Alison Kirgis will work on the map. Parks and Rec will be hosting outdoor exercise in the parks this summer. 

D. Committee Updates:

a. Executive Committee:  Jon Knox reported on the following action items.

i. Action Item: Nonprofit Liability Insurance Policy Renewal: 

Motion: Approve the renewal of Nonprofit Liability Insurance in the amount of $801.00 for the policy period of May 13, 2015 to May 13, 2016 (Pursley-Dolejsi) Passed.

ii. Action Item: Reimbursement for Como Woodlands Outdoor Classroom:

Motion: Approve the reimbursement request of $184.00 to the Como Woodlands Advisory Committee for the cost of printing an educational poster that will promote the Como Woodland Outdoor Classroom at area schools and a postcard invitation to the dedication ceremony on May 20, 2015 (Dolejsi-Moon) Passed.

b. Land Use: Kim Moon reported that the next meeting is May 4th. Kim Moon will contact BZA regarding the requested parking variance for the proposed massage school at 801 Front Ave., and this will be discussed at the next meeting

c. Dale Street ad hoc Committee: Ryan Flynn reported the next meeting is May 21 at North Dale. They are working on a process for generating solutions.

d. District Plan ad hoc Committee: The committee will need some additional time to wrap up the District Plan.

Motion: Extend the term of the ad hoc committee to September 2015 (Harkness-Flynn) Passed.

e. Como Regional Park Advisory Committee: Pete Bolstad reported that there was no CRPAC meeting in April. Pete will let Alison and Ryan know if he needs to be put on the agenda for the board meeting in May. 

f. Neighborhood Relations and Safety Committee: Mary Michalski had to leave tonight's meeting early. Alison reported that the date of the ice cream social will need to be moved. Pete reported that the construction of the pedestrian bridge and landscaping will probably not be complete until the end of July.  Alison reported that the ice cream social is tentatively scheduled for the beginning of August. The ice cream social might be combined with a ribbon cutting ceremony for the pedestrian bridge.

g. Environment Committee: Frank Dolejsi reported there was no meeting in April.

i. Action Item: Citizens Acting for Rail Safety (CARS)

Motion: Approve the co-sponsorship of the rail safety event with Citizens Acting for Rail Safety (CARS) to be held at North Dale on May 20th (Dolejsi-Dahm) Passed. 

There is no cost to D10 for co-sponsoring this event. Frank reported on an effort to locate an organics composting site closer than the Midway site on Pierce Butler. A neighborhood garden tour is scheduled for June 20th. 

VI. ADJOURN: Motion to adjourn was made at 8:29 p.m. Passed.

Respectfully submitted by Linda R. Hinderscheit, Secretary

These minutes were approved on May 19, 2015. 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC