Minutes-7-17-2012
Friday, August 24, 2012 3:00 PM

 

DISTRICT 10 COMO COMMUNITY COUNCIL BOARD MEETING

North Dale Recreation Center

1414 Saint Albans St N, Saint Paul, MN 55117

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

7:00 PM

MINUTES

 

I. Call to Order: Chair Jon Knox called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.

II. Board Introductions:

Present: Jon Knox, Linda Hinderscheit, Kim Moon, Dick Dian, Penny Spence, Panod Klongtruatroke, Ron Edlund, Tom Eyre, Jody McCardle, Curtis Stock and Ted Blank

Absent: Betsy Wehrwein, Chris Harkness, Kate Wilinski and Laurie Erickson.

Staff Present: Jessie Bronk

III. Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda:

Motion: Approve the agenda. (Spence-Moon) Passed.

IV. COMMUNITY SECTION:

A. Board Chair Report: Jon announced that Kate Wilinski, board member, has had a skiing accident and is recovering at home. Rhett McSweeney has not responded to our recent invitations to appear at Board meetings (including an invitation to attend tonight’s meeting). Jon will contact Councilperson Russ Stark's office regarding neighborhood concerns about the Sholom Home (currently Traditions) renovation and recent incidents of graffiti.

B. Treasurer’s Report: Penny received the financial report from the accountant today, so she has not had a chance to review them thoroughly.  Our cash on hand is reduced significantly with a considerable amount in accounts receivable still to come from city grants. With half the year over, we are at 46% on both revenue and expenses, which is good. Penny will send out a written report as soon as she has had a chance to review the report from the accountant.  Penny will also talk to the accountant again about the need to receive reports in a more timely fashion. 

C. Eureka Recycling- Curbside Composting: Diana Kennedy presented information regarding a plan to compost and recycle more plastics. The goal is for an entirely waste-free city by 2020. Currently, St. Paul is at a 47% waste reduction rate, one of the highest in the country.  The proposed plan takes the city to a 75% waste reduction rate. The plan includes food waste prevention, adding more plastics that can be recycled, curbside collection of food waste and compostable paper products (like egg cartons), and changing to single-stream sorting. The plan includes an educational component, which depends on community groups to spread the word among their neighbors. Eureka would supply the materials. The plan includes returning dirt, which would be created by composting, back to St. Paul in order to improve the soil in targeted areas of the city.  The plan is still in the proposal stage with the city. It still needs to be passed by the City Council and the Mayor. There are budgetary issues to consider. The plan will increase the cost to the city/taxpayers. The Ramsey County master plan specifies citywide curbside collection of residential food waste for composting with a target date of 2015. Cities will need to comply to get funding. The D10 Environment Committee is meeting tomorrow night and will consider sending an action item to the Board recommending a letter of support to send to the City Council and Mayor .

D. Como Regional Park Advisory Committee update: Paul Kolias was present to give an update on the CRPAC process. The current way finding and signage within the park are being reviewed. The goal is to have a signage proposal together by the end of this year. Getting public input has been difficult. Placing markers around the lake was discussed as a means to aid first responders when emergencies happen. Ridership on the shuttle is down compared to last year. Ridership is higher on weekends than on weekdays. About 6 % of park users use the shuttle. Public Works is studying traffic issues at the corner of Lexington and Como (entrance to the pool area), particularly with left turns. The Hmong Sports Festival went well, with fewer parking, clean up and noise issues than in some years past. Public Works has been alerted that the bike lane markings around the lake need to be repainted. The CRPAC has written a letter to Metro Transit to encourage better bus service up Lexington Ave. to serve Como Park more effectively. 

E. Sgt Charlie Anderson Update: We have not seen the uptick in property crimes that is typical of the summer months. There is a Facebook page for the St. Paul Police Department Western District.  When burglary or robbery (felonies) arrests are made, photos are posted. Ten percent of the population commits 90% of the crimes. Sgt Anderson is trying to get the mobile video surveillance units in Como Park more often. He noted that crime is reduced where the camera is present in a specific area of the park, but tends to move to other parking lots that do not have cameras. The process of installing more cameras has been slower than he originally thought. By far, the victims of theft-from-auto in the park are not from St. Paul. At the pool, Sgt. Anderson suggested that announcements be made on the PA system to alert people to safeguard their valuables. It would be most effective to place signs, which warn people not to leave valuables visible in parked cars, at the exits from the parking lots, so people see them as they are about to leave the parking lot. Sgt. Anderson's phone number is 651- 266-5415. Traffic complaints are handled by 651-266-5722. Sgt. Anderson will give additional police contact information to Jessie, and she will make them available to the community. Kim Moon brought up the issue of people parking in the residential permit parking areas near Hamline and Midway. When a resident called the police, they reportedly received the response that parking enforcement did not ticket on the weekends.  Sgt. Anderson indicated that he will follow up on that issue. There have been 8 new parking enforcement officers just sworn in.  Tilden Park has more juveniles hanging around drinking. 

F. Miscellaneous community discussion: none

V. BOARD BUSINESS SECTION:

A. Review/Amend/Approve Minutes & Financial Statements:

Motion: Approve minutes of 6/19/2012 meeting. (Moon-Spence ) Passed

B. Staff Report: Jessie Bronk introduced Theo Woehrle, the new intern hired to assist with the District 10 Land Use Plan revision. Jessie sent out a survey to garage sale participants. Over 50% of the participants returned the survey. Most participants want to keep the date in mid-May. ComoFest is coming up this weekend. The ComoFest map contains information about restricted parking areas for garden tour participants. Jessie suggested charging a small fee for garden tour participants next year and using the money for the Environment Committee. National Night Out is August 7th, and Jessie is working with block leaders.  

Motion: Approve the offer letter to the District 10 intern  (Moon-Spence) Passed.

C. Committee Updates:

a. Land Use Committee: Kim Moon checked with Jon to make sure the letter regarding the recent Walgreens' issue (hours of delivery and drive through operations) was sent to John Kohler (Semper Development) as per his request. There is a resident of subdistrict 1 who is coming to the next Land Use meeting to discuss limiting lawn parking during the State Fair.

b. District Plan Ad Hoc Committee: 

i. Approval of Offer Letter—see #B.a. above

c. Neighborhood Relations & Safety Committee: Ted Blank said that a resident, whose daughter was attacked by a pitbull, is attemping to work with city officials to strengthen laws and enforcement regarding dangerous animals. He has met with limited success. He is coming to the next Neighborhood Relations and Safety Committee meeting. Ted recruited volunteers to staff the D10 information table at ComoFest. Jessie reported that Ted wrote a letter to businesses soliciting donations for National Night Out. Panod pointed out that getting more donations is vital, as we will have some of our city funding cut next year. 

d. District Operations Committee: Jody McCardle needed to leave the meeting early, so she was not present to report at this time.  Jessie reported that she, Jody and Kate are continuing to work on a general fund raising letter, which they hope to send out in October. 

e. Environment Committee: Ron Edlund reported that the committee is trying to recruit more members. The committee is going to discuss expanding the Sunday series, which was received so well in the neighborhood this past winter and spring. More help is needed to weed the Pavilion garden. There is an e-blast list for the Environment Committee and anyone interested can sign up. 

f. Bylaw Review- ad hoc Committee: Panod Klongtruatroke reported that the committee is going to meet next week. Ted Sheu is helping with some legal definition issues. A draft copy is almost ready for review. 

V. Adjourn: The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m.

Motion to adjourn. (Moon-Dian)  Passed.

Respectfully submitted by Linda R. Hinderscheit, Secretary

These minutes were approved on 8/21/2012.

 

 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC