Minutes- 10/18/11
Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:25 AM

DISTRICT 10 COMO COMMUNITY COUNCIL BOARD MEETING

Historic Streetcar Station

1224 Lexington  Parkway North, St Paul, MN 55103

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

7:00 PM

 

Attending:  Ted Blank, Pete Bolstad, Chris Harkness, Panod Klongtruatroke, Jon Knox, Mike MacDonald, Jody McCardle, Marsha Milgrom, Kim Moon, Penny Spence, Matt Streit, Betsy Wehrwein

 

Excused:  Barbara Clark, Dolores Rufenacht

 

      I.         Call to Order                                                                                                                                               

 

The meeting was called to order at 7:04 p.m.

 

     II.         Board Introductions (name & neighborhood)                                                                       

 

Board members introduced themselves and identified their neighborhoods in the district.

 

   III.         Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda                                                                                         

 

Jon Knox made a correction to the agenda:  Gabe’s has withdrawn their request for variance.

 

Ted Blank motioned to approve the agenda, seconded by Kim Moon.  Unanimously approved.

 

   IV.         COMMUNITY SECTION                                                                                                                             

 

A.     Board Chair Report

 

Jon Knox thanked all volunteers:  board members, committee members and others.  He also singled out board members whose terms were expiring:  Ted Blank (returning on board), Pete Bolstad, Mike MacDonald, Marsha Milgrom and Dolores Rufenacht for their service.

 

Knox mentioned the City of St. Paul’s Honor Roll, which recognizes up to three volunteers in each district.  Nominations are due to Jessie by November 13, 2011.

 

B.     Treasurer’s Report

 

Penny Spence stated the board is in a good cash position and is on track for annual spending.

 

C.     Board Elections

 

Panod Klongtruatroke introduced the voting process for the evening’s annual elections.  Candidates had prepared statements in a Voter’s Guide; elections from the floor are welcome.

 

a.     Chair

 

Penny Spence motioned to reelect current Chair Jon Knox by acclamation, seconded by Chris Harkness.  Approved. 

 

b.     Secretary

 

The position of secretary was left unelected due to lack of nominations.

 

c.     Sub District 1

 

Panod Klongtruatroke motioned to elect by acclamation Laurie Erickson, a new business owner of a childcare center on Hamline Avenue.  Seconded by Penny Spence.  Approved.

 

d.     Sub District 2

 

The open position in Subdistrict 2 was left unelected due to lack of nominations.

 

e.     Sub District 3

 

Richard Dian introduced himself and self-nominated from the floor for the position.  Motion by Panod Klongtruatroke to vote by acclamation. Seconded by Mike MacDonald.  Approved.

 

f.      At Large (2 open)

 

Ron Englund introduced himself and self-nominated from the floor for the position.

 

Panod Klongtruatroke nominated Ted Blank for an additional position.

 

Klongtruatroke motioned to vote by acclamation for Edlund and Blank, seconded by Penny Spence.  Approved.

 

The two positions remaining open may be voted upon at the next month’s meeting. 

 

D.    Land Use Action Item- MGM/Walgreens

 

Kim Moon discussed the redevelopment process of the corner of Lexington/Larpenteur.  Moon explained the vote to support a redevelopment plan.  Conditions attached to the vote, as recommended by the Land Use Committee, are:  1) Ten p.m. closing time; and 2) Fencing on the south of the alley which is more substantial than wire (brick or steel); and 3) Delivery hours off-peak traffic flow and respectful of the neighborhood.  There had been earlier discussion pertaining to the five homes along California Avenue.  The major concern held by neighbors appears to be traffic at the corner.  Some solutions have been suggested.  Moon read a full text explaining concerns, which had been prepared by the Land Use Committee.  A straw poll was also conducted to gauge turnout at that recent Land Use meeting about transportation calming.

 

a.     Community Vote

 

Motion to conduct committee vote by Ted Blank, seconded by Kim Moon.  The community voted 26 “yes” and 7 “no” to approve the Walgreen’s plan, with conditions as stated.

 

Jon Knox thanked the many community members who have consistently attended meetings to help shape the Walgreen’s plan. 

 

b.     Board Vote

 

Panod Klongtruatroke moved to begin board discussion of the Land Use Action Item.  Discussion by board included setting a precedent by rezoning residential property.  Ward 5 Councilmember Lee Helgen explained that each plan is considered on its own merit, with necessary approvals.  Betsy Wehrwein asked about ongoing processes:  where will public comment be considered?  Helgen explained that during the site plan process, the city will consider licensing conditions.  Pete Bolstad echoed Kim Moon’s earlier concern over future residential rezoning, specifically across the street, where Flowerama is currently located, which has been considered in the past. 

 

Marsha Milgrom moved to vote on the Land Use Action Item, seconded by Panod Klongtruatroke.  Unanimously approved. A letter of support will be drafted for the City.

 

E.     Miscellaneous community discussion

 

Deb Robinson spoke briefly about the Como Woodlands Outdoor Classroom.  A three year grant has enabled improvements.  She also encouraged community members to be active in the District 10 Environment Committee.

 

    V.         BOARD BUSINESS SECTION                                                     

                          

A.     Review/Amend/Approve Minutes & Financial Statements

 

Betsy Wehrwein moved to approve minutes and financial statements, seconded by Penny Spence. 

 

B.     Staff Report (Jessie Bronk)

 

Jessie Bronk discussed some ideas for improvement for 2012.  These included improving the District 10 website to encourage attendance. She would also like to organize historical documents, including archived news articles. Bronk highlighted some community outreach initiatives, including neighborhood cleanup, candidate forums, and an organizing workshop. Bronk is also interested in establishing a committee to explore a community garden project.  A crime prevention quarterly meeting took place with good turnout and some new ideas.

 

C.     Pancake Breakfast

 

Penny Spence is seeking volunteers to work at the annual pancake breakfast.   Tickets are still pending sales; board members are asked to pre-sell tickets.  The breakfast is the only major fundraising event for District 10.

 

D.    Como Curbside Cleanup- City cleanup grant

 

The Como Lake Neighborhood Network is interested in obtaining a small grant for leaf cleanup.  The CLNN also requested a small District 10 contribution.  Board members discussed the need and structure for supporting this and future CLNN efforts.  Penny Spence motioned to serve as fiscal agent to accept the small grant, seconded by Panod Klongtruatroke.  Approved.  A similar motion was made and approved to deny or defer consideration of direct financial support.

 

E.     Discussion on Committee Structure/Participation

 

Penny Spence said the Fundraising committee had its first meeting.  A letter of support to community members has been drafted and will be sent to the board for approval.  Spence discussed the possibility of combining this committee with the Communications committee.  Additional considerations for restructuring committees will be discussed. Jody McCardle suggested establishing future goal plans for the upcoming board, versus static committees.

 

With new board members and annual retreat coming up, Jon Knox suggested the committees may depend in part on who is interested and able to do what type of committee work.

 

F.     CRPAC Update- Paul Kolias

 

Jon Knox reminded the board that CRPAC meetings are public and take place at the Streetcar Station. They take place the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.

 

G.    Committee Updates

a.     Land Use Committee (Kim Moon) Moon spoke about a request for handicapped parking as part of the upcoming meeting.

b.     Environment Committee (Mike MacDonald)  MacDonald spoke about tree tagging and the upcoming meeting.

c.     Neighborhood Safety Committee (Dolores Rufenacht)  Jon Knox spoke about the great job Rufenacht did chairing this committee.

d.     Neighborhood Relations Committee (Betsy Wehrwein) A homeownership forum is being planned for February.

e.     Communications Committee (Barb Clark) The Committee is going smoothly; there is not much to share.

f.      Bylaw Review- Adhoc Committee update (Panod K)  Future meetings are being planned.

 

    V.         Adjourn                                                                                                                                               

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted by Marsha Milgrom.

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC