Minutes - 01/2013
Monday, February 25, 2013 8:40 PM

 

Neighborhood Relations & Safety Committee

Minutes

January 10, 2013

Historic Streetcar Station

 

Members Present: Ted Blank, Laurie Erickson, Mary Michalski, Pete Bolstad

Members Excused: Dolores Rufenacht, Jackie Gulbranson

Staff Present: Jessie Currier

Community member present: Bill Sylvester

 

The meeting was called to order at 6:10pm.  Minutes from December meeting were approved. 

Mary and Jackie have volunteered to co-chair the committee.  Ted will make recommendation at next board meeting.  

 

Merger with District Operations Committee was agreed to by committee. 

Action Item: Mary to combine charters into one document for review at next Board Meeting.

 

Hamline/Nebraska Pedestrian Safety: 

STAR grant meeting at 8:00 am on 2/13 – Ted to attend

Our application for funds for the bump outs at Hamline/Nebraska will be reviewed at this meeting. 

CIB proposals – D10 will support the Chelsea Heights playground proposal 

Fundraising:

D10 has a net of $372 to date from fund raising letter

Ideas for generating more interest:

Email reminders to distribution list on Give to the Max day

Safety fair – donate and get a bike helmet

Friends of District 10: Create an initial list from current donors, weekly update, and quarterly newsletter.  Two businesses donated – actively go after more. 

Road show idea:  a way to make the larger businesses aware of D10 and why it is important to the community. 

Include donor list in annual report

Crime:

Meeting at North Dale on January 17th organized by a block leader. There is a need to keep watch on how many of these are scheduled as a very similar meeting was recently held.  

Quarterly newsletter topics:

Crime prevention orientated safety tips 

Bike safety tips

Heat / sun protection tips

 

Committees 2013 Areas of Focus: (note that Comofest was added to list at this meeting) 

Crosswalk Safety:

Identify bad ones in neighborhood; Jessie has list from CIB info and will send to committee members 

Idea for a pedestrian safe zone in middle for more dangerous areas – committee members should start creating their own lists.  Advertise for community input at May meeting. 

Safety Fairs:

April for bike safety

Target Fall for fire and pet safety 

Home Tour:

Not feasible to be part of larger Msp/St Paul home tour this year.  Target to be a node in 2014. 

Potential for mini tour to be included with the Garden Tour the Saturday of Comofest.  Action Item: Ted to ask Environment committee if interested in sharing. 

Meet the Board Members Event: 

Target to include in summer events

Playground opening

Comofest

Pancake breakfast

North Dale Picnic

New pool ?? 

Business Outreach:

Goal to get more business involvement

Plan a meeting where we invite local business – coordinate with Land Use and Adhoc Committees is interested.  Target for some time in 2nd quarter. 

Comofest:

Planning meeting scheduled for January 23rd 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 pm

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC