Minutes - 07/2011
Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:15 PM

 

 

 
   


DISTRICT 10 COMO COMMUNITY COUNCIL BOARD MEETING

 

Historic Streetcar Station

1224 North Lexington Parkway North, Saint Paul, MN 55103

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

7:00 PM

 

Attending:  Pete Bolstad, Chris Harkness, Panod Klongtruatroke, Jon Knox, Jody McArdle, Mike MacDonald, Marsha Milgrom, Kim Moon, Dolores Rufenacht, Penny Spence, Betsy Wehrwein

 

Excused:  Ted Blank, Barbara Clark, Matt Streitt

 

       I.          Call to Order                                                                                                               

 

The meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m.

 

     II.          Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda                                                                 

 

        No changes made to agenda as posted.   Motion to approve by Kim Moon, seconded by         Penny Spence.   

 

    III.          COMMUNITY SECTION 

                                                                                  

        A.    Board Chair Report

 

        Jon Knox reminded the board and community that the August meeting will be held at         North Dale Rec. Center, just for the month.  Also Jack Roberts has resigned as Subdistrict

        3 board representative; an election will be held.

 

B. Treasurer’s Report

 

Penny Spence reported expenditures were close to expectations.  We are at about half of the year, with some surplus.  Cash is good, at close to $30,000, with another $4,800 in grants receivable.  The 990 was approved and submitted to the Attorney General’s office.  Spence shared a draft Credit Card Policies & Procedures for staff.  Motion by Panod Klongtruatroke, seconded by Chris Harkness.  Approved unanimously.  The procedures will be added to the Personnel Handbook.  Spence also mentioned the need and plan to get ahead for 2012 in timely submission of workplans, budgets etc.  The Fundraising Committee will be convening soon as well to look at long term funding.

 

C.  Traditions Saint Paul, Rhett McSweeney

 

Rhett McSweeney presented information about the Sholom Home re-use.  They propose to convert 170 units to an assisted living center.  There will be two phases within the four buildings. The property was purchased for $1,75 million, and Traditions will invest close t o $8 million.  Full architectural plans are drawn.  The City has approved a conditional use permit, due to a year vacancy.  Zoning was not changed from previous use. The long-term plan for the fire station is to rehab and use it for storage.  A request will be made to the City to vacate the end of Canfield to add 20 more parking spaces.

 

The City acknowledged notice was not sent for a conditional use permit.  Parking should not be an issue in terms of neighborhood impact.  There are a total of 79 parking spots planned.  Requirements are 1:3 for the total 170 units.  A total of 20 of the units are dedicated to memory care patients.  In about six months the first phase will be completed, and the second phase within eight months.  These are approximate timelines. Lots of amenities will be available onsite.

 

Oxford management company will conduct hiring and oversee operations.  The formal name of the facility will be Traditions. Community members asked about parking, lighting and traffic; board members had a number of questions and comments.  For more information & updates, see www.traditionsmn.com  Mr. McSweeny will be approaching the City for a signage variance. 

 

D.  Como Play Area – STAR Grant

 

Jon Knox introduced the request by Parks & Recreation to support STAR grant funding of the Como Play Area.   Knox commented on the playground’s condition. Discussion about the role of District 10 in gathering input in design, comparison with other playground needs in the area and about the process Parks & Recreation use to gather neighborhood input.  Como Park District 10 representative Paul Kolias was not aware of the request. 

 

Pete Bolstad motioned to send a letter stating District 10  is not comfortable at this time as partner to support the request, seconded by Kim Moon.  The reasons are short notice and lack of detail.  District 10 proposes the Como Park Advisory Committee incorporate this and other proposals into a holistic perspective of the park.   10 in favor, 1 opposed.

 

E.  Community discussion – none.

 

   IV.          BOARD BUSINESS SECTION                                                                                   

 

A.     Review/Amend/Approve Minutes & Financial Statements – done in IIIB.

 

B.     Staff Report (Jessie Bronk)

 

Jessie Bronk reported having attended an excellent financial management workshop sponsored by the City, along with Penny Spence.  She provided a debrief on the Staycation; the Garden Tour was well attended.  Jessie recommends a September bike ride next year, rather than including it as part of Staycation.   

 

The block club quarterly meeting was well attended.

 

C.     Como Park Advisory Committee Update

 

Paul Kolias reported the status of the Advisory Committee.  A website and link on the home page are up. Discussion items include shuttle promotion, Como Pool update, Hmong Sports Festival, and a new partnership called SALT (Seniors and Law Enforcement Together).  Among major topics are the new website and signage and waysigning.  A resolution has been forwarded to the Parks Commission requesting funds for signage, which follows all regional St. Paul Parks’ design. 

 

At the next meeting, the Committee will revisit the Transportation Implementation Plan, along with Kimley Horn, the consultants involved in the process.

 

Board members requested that the minutes from the Committee reflect actual attendees and their respective affiliations (who they represent).   There are also questions about the transportation plan approval – based on documentation.

 

Regarding the shuttle, the Fairgrounds are presumed to be permanent location.

 

D.  Future Fundraising Committee

 

E.  Committee Updates

 

a. Land Use

 

Kim Moon informed the board that Java Train will apply for a liquor license.  The Land Use Committee will meet Aug. 1 to discuss the request.  The restaurant is looking for a parking variance.   There are new parking restrictions, which precipitate this action.

 

b. Environment

 

Mike MacDonald presented an action item for the Parks to develop a draft framework for the stormwater management plan for Como Regional Parks.  Motion to approve item by Chris Harkness, seconded by Pete Bolstad.   Unanimously approved.

 

c.  Neighbor Relations – in minutes

 

d.  Safety – in minutes

 

        e. Communications – in minutes

 

        f.  Bylaws

 

        The Bylaws subcommittee has met four times.  Panod Klongtruatroke explained that the         community vote process is among those being considered for amendment. 

 

     V.          Adjourn                                                                                                                       

 

Moition to adjourn by Mike MacDonald, seconded by Pete Bolstad. 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:05.

 

Respectfully submitted by Marsha Milgrom.

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC