minutes - 08/2011
Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:30 PM

 

 

 
   


DISTRICT 10 COMO COMMUNITY COUNCIL BOARD MEETING

 

North Dale Recreation Center

1414 Saint Albans St N, Saint Paul, MN, 55117

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

7:00 PM

 

MINUTES

 

Board Members Present:   Ted Blank, Pete Bolstad, Barbara Clark, Chris Harkness, Panod Klongtruatroke, Mike MacDonald, Jody McCardle, Marsha Milgrom, Dolores Rufenacht, Penny Spence, Matt Streit

 

Board Members Excused:  Jon Knox, Kim Moon, Betsy Wehrwein

 

       I.          Call to Order                                                                                                               

 

     II.          Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda                                                                 

 

    III.          COMMUNITY SECTION                                                                                           

A.     Board Chair Report

 

In Jon Knox’s absence, Vice Chair Panod Klongtruatroke welcomed board and community to the North Dale Rec. Center.  He spoke of the upcoming weeding event at the Lake shoreline.

 

B.     Treasurer’s Report

 

Treasurer’s report

 

C.     Inclusive Involvement Workshops: Tait Danielson Castillo, D7

 

Tait Danielson Castillo spoke on behalf of District 7/Frogtown, of two upcoming trainings for board and/or community members:  an inclusivity training and a community organizing training.

 

D.     Open Sub-district 3 Board Position

 

No Subdistrict 3 members were in attendance.  There is one vacancy from this area for two months.  Barbara Clark moved to waive filling the vacancy until October, when the term will be for two years.  Seconded by Ted Blank.  Board passed vote unanimously.

 

E.      Java Train liquor license

 

a.      Land Use Action Items

 

Java Train has applied for a liquor (wine and beer) license.  Certain conditions that preexist will remain, such as parking.  Panod Klongtruatroke clarified the intention of the community vote.

 

Board and Land Use member Chris Harkness discussed action items on the ballet, in Kim Moon’s absence.    The Land Use Committee of District 10 had made recommendations to put the three items to community and board vote.  The items are as follows:

 

1) I am in favor of Java Train’s request for a liquor (beer and wine only) license provided that the restaurant closes by 10:00 p.m. (YES/NO)

 

 

     2) I am in favor of Java Train’s request to serve beer and wine on their outdoor patio provided the                                                                             patio closes by 10:00 p.m. (YES/NO)

 

     3) I am in favor of Java Train’s request to waive the 45-day waiting period. (YES/NO)

 

b.      Community Discussion

 

Steve Finnegan, Java Train owner, spoke of their intention to add beer and wine as a means to boost overall sales.  The intention is to close at 10 and expand patio capacity. 

 

Community members spoke of the benefits of Java Train as a positive gathering spot, of the food choices, and the reputation of Java Train as a responsible business.    Neighbors also voiced concern of parking at Pascal and the need for signage and violations monitoring/ticketing.

 

One community member spoke of the liquor license down side: problem partying.  In particular, if the establishment is sold, there is likelihood that the neighborhood would change.

 

Motion to close discussion and conduct community vote by Mike MacDonald, seconded by Ted Blank.  Unanimously approved.

 

c.      Community Vote

 

Results of the community vote were:  Item #1 for liquor license:  Yes 28, no 4; Item #2 for patio permit:  Yes 28, no 4;  Item 3:  waive waiting period:  Yes 27, no 5. 

 

d.      Board Discussion

 

Board discussion was opened by Panod Klongtruatroke.  Matt Streit asked about the ability to change conditions if later desired; Steve Finnegan did not believe so.   Dolores Rufenacht commented about the Holy Childhood church next door.

 

e.      Board Action

 

Motion to vote by acclamation, as bylaws state by Barbara Clark, seconded by Panod Klongtruatroke, unanimously approved.  Item #1:  13 yes; passes unanimously.  Item #2: 13 yes, passes unanimously.  Item #3:  13 yes, passes unanimously.

 

F.      Miscellaneous community discussion

 

Vandalism, theft and break-ins have been fairly visible this summer.  In May a block club Google site was implemented, and some speculation is that issues are more visible because of this. 

 

A reminder to community members to consider the neighborhood cleanup on September 24. 

 

   IV.          BOARD BUSINESS SECTION                                                                                   

 

Pete Bolstad spoke about the previous board meeting and its vote not to favor partnership with the Parks and their proposal.   The board letter to Parks & Recreation Department requested a one month lead time in future proposals.  District received a follow up letter. 

 

A.     Review/Amend/Approve Minutes & Financial Statements

 

Ted Blank moved to approve, with one modification noted in Executive Committee minutes, noting comment about accessibility.  Seconded by Matt Streitt.  Unanimously approved.

 

B.     Staff Report (Jessie Bronk)

 

In Jessie’s absence, Dolores Rufenacht again asked for volunteer participation at the cleanup. 

 

C.     Neighborhood Revitalization Strategies- project ideas?

 

Dolores Rufenacht, Ted Blank and Jody McCardle had indicated interest in a new project.  Ted Blank introduced a summary of project scope, which is essentially to gauge district business issues and capacity.  Motion to approve project proposal, subject to board electronic approval, by Marsha Milgrom.  Second by Penny Spence.  Approved unanimously.

 

D.     Como Park Advisory Committee (CPAC) Update

 

Paul Kolias prepared an update, sharing August 10 meeting minutes. Topics included the Como Play area design, updates on local issues and funding/bonding requests, etc.  The main topic is a new signage and wayfinding study.  Kimley-Horn consulting group has been helpful with this.

 

Pete Bolstad suggested that the next District 10 newsletter include a piece on the CPAC.

 

E.      Pancake Breakfast

 

Penny Spence is meeting with Job Corps’ Kate Smith soon, along with Jessie Bronk.  Board members will be asked to sell tickets to the event, early, in support of District 10 programs.  A suggestion was made to solicit the help of local businesses in selling tickets as well. 

 

F.      City Grants: Midyear Review

 

Board members received a draft in advance of the midyear review.  Minor changes will be made.

 

G.     6 month Staff Evaluation

 

New Community Organizer/Administrator Jessie Bronk has been with District 10 for six months.  A review is underway, and it is expected that reviews will continue annually after that.

 

H.     Committee Updates

a.      Land Use Committee (Kim Moon)

b.      Environment Committee (Mike MacDonald)

 

               Mike MacDonald mentioned the turtle study and weeding event.

 

c.      Neighborhood Safety Committee (Dolores Rufenacht)

 

               Dolores Rufenacht reported on a meeting with local police.  Burglaries are up citywide.

               District residents are encouraged to report any suspicious activity and patrols are more                    carefully targeting areas.

 

               Panod Klongtruatroke also explained that the Executive Committee requests a letter                to Parks for enhanced security at the Streetcar Station, especially given recent break-ins.

 

d.      Neighborhood Relations Committee (Betsy Wehrwein)

 

The minutes were sent to board, with no discussion at this time.

 

e.      Communications Committee (Barb Clark)

 

E-Democracy is a new forum which District 10 will promote.

 

f.       Bylaw Review- Adhoc Committee update (Panod K)

 

     V.          Adjourn                                                                                                                       

 

        The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m.

 

        Respectfully submitted by Marsha Milgrom

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC