Minutes - 12/2009
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:20 AM





Directors present:  Scott Baker, Chris Bedford Pete Bolstad, Barbara Frick, Chris Harkness, Leah Johnson, Jon Knox, Karl Koch, Mike MacDonald, Chris Martineau, Marcy Micek, Marsha Milgrom, Dolores Rufenacht, Matt Schmitt


Directors excused: Barbara Clark 

Staff/interns present: Rhonda DeBough Insook

        I.            Call to Order                                                                                                                                     
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Leah Johnson.
      II.            Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda                                                                                   
Presentation on petition for 4-way stop by Ed Nelson added to agenda, Item G.
    III.            COMMUNITY SECTION                                                                                                                 
A.      Board Chair Report
The former Personnel Committee has been dissolved. The Community Organizer had a performance review by Executive Committee. After 6 months the staff functions will be reassessed.
B.      Treasurer’s Report - November Financial Statement Review
Board Treasurer Marcy Micek and Community Organizer Rhonda Debough met recently with the District 10 accountant. City contracts, which constitute nearly all of District 10 revenue, are based on reimbursement; the district will be close to budgeted expense.
C.      Introduction on District 6 members request to join District 10
Several nearby District 6 members have requested participation in District 10. Art Oglesby, a Lexington Avenue resident, spoke in favor of joining District 10. Oglesby asked what the redistricting process was. Diane Wanner, City District Coordinator, said she was unaware of precedents.  She is willing to gather more information and report back to Rhonda Debough. 
Jon Knox proposed collecting a head count of how many households are interested in joining District 10. And also encouraging nearby neighbors to participate in Land Use and other committees.  
D.      Update from Chris Martineau on Planned Como Park Transportation Study
District 10’s website contains new information about a comprehensive transportation study for Como Regional Park. Vendor selection will occur soon, and district members may help in this process. Two vendor proposals are posted on City site, linked in District 10. Questions/answers developed earlier are also posted on web, based on questions submitted from Neighbor Relations Committee.  A ranking using criteria sheets is due 6 p.m. Dec. 16 to Chris Martineau or members may may phone in to District 10 Coordinator.  Neighbor Relations will discuss District 10 representation criteria and process.
E.       Update and discussion about community concerns related to planned Como Park aquatic facility and related neighborhood impacts
Several community residents have brought forward concerns about the new planned Aquatic Facility. Sally Worku presented a planning timeline. Previous parking studies have not been comprehensive. 
The new transportation study will be the first since 1979 to include areas surrounding Como Park. Planning District Council 10 recently endorsed expeditious construction of a pool but not a specified design. The transportation study will begin at the same time a new Aquatic Center will be constructed. Citizen task force members of the 1996 Master Plan Implementation Task Force had asked for inclusion of the pool study area and denied. The questions is whether District 10 on record having approve a site plan for the park?
John Marino, a nearby resident of Como Woodlands, spoke about the need for correct information. There has been a great deal of confusion about the pool. Council President Kathy Lantry had a number of residents call expressing concern over expanded size and scope and lazy river feature. The concern is that the transportation study will be developed after the site plan in the area already is complete.
Action item proposed: 
Motion made by Marcy Micek to create an ad hoc committee to inform the transportation study process and provide recommendation to rep. Seconded by Chris Harkness. Unanimously approved. Pete Bolstad will serve as chair. Leah Johnson will ask Council members Helgen and Stark to define a communications process in terms of District 10 members’ continued input.
F.       Diane Wanner, Information on 2010 Census
Diane introduced the 2010 training series for district council members.  Several District 10 members had attended last year’s trainings and spoke highly of them.  Some sessions offer basic and advanced information; some are repeated throughout the year.
Diane passed a handout on Mayor Coleman’s 2010 Census Task Force, possible power shifts and hard to count areas by Planning District. The April census influences federal funding and is required by law.  This will be the first census with short form to all households. Diane would like to ask District 10 members to think about how best to reach underrepresented areas. District 10 is planning at least one public awareness event closer to April.
Diane also agreed to assist District 10 with a bylaw comparison to other district councils.
G.        Ed Nelson, Information about speeding on Grotto
Ed Nelson, 689 Cottage Ave .W. , spoke. The speed of cars at Arlington & Wheelock has caused concern. A petition has been circulated to residents on Grotto and Cottage. The City ran a survey and concluded speed was excessive. Some rush hour traffic cut through to avoid Larpenteur.   The Safety Committee is currently looking at traffic calming remedies.
    IV.            BOARD BUSINESS SECTION         
      V.            Review, Amend, Approve November 2009 Minutes & Financial Stmts
Jon Knox moved to approve minutes, seconded by Marcy Micek. Unanimously approved with corrections noted.  
A.      Staff Report (10 minutes)
Welcome wagon information should soon be available in the newly designed brochure. Volunteer time sheets will be a new expectation for board members and community members. A walking club is starting up soon. The District 10 office will be closed during the holidays.
B.      Committee Updates
Communications Committee update by Matt Schmitt. Newsletter deadline is coming up Dec. 26 for final articles. Publication date is Jan. 11.  Next deadline will be March 2. Lexington-Larpenteur Ad-Hoc Committee update by Barbara Frick. The committee is preparing to recommend next steps to the community.  Safety Committee update by Karl Koch and Dolores Rufenacht.   The committee has applied for a City of Saint Paul COPP grant.
C.      Fund Development Update
A list of secured and pending grants will become a regular feature. A COPP proposal will be going out from the Safety Committee. The CERTS grant was approved for $3,000. A committee chair meeting will be considered to share ideas going forward.
D.      Strategic Planning, Bylaws Revision, Committee Chair Meeting
Strategic planning would precede bylaws revision.   Charities Review process is a possibility. 
      V.            Action Items                                                                     
A.      Jerry Collard, Sierra Club (resolution)
Jerry Collard presented a resolution, representing the Northstar Chapter of Sierra Club. Jerry has sought a statement of support by community members. Anyone in attendance wishing to sign should do so as a community member, not as a District 10 board member. 
    VI.            Adjourn                                                                                                                                              
Meeting adjourned at 9:10 p.m. 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC