Minutes - 6/2011
Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:10 PM

 

 

 
   


DISTRICT 10 COMO COMMUNITY COUNCIL BOARD MEETING

 

Historic Streetcar Station

1224 North Lexington Parkway North, Saint Paul, MN 55103

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

7:00 PM

 

Attending:  Barbara Clark, Chris Harkness, Panod Klongtruatroke, Jon Knox, Jody McArdle, Marsha Milgrom, Kim Moon, Dolores Rufenacht, Penny Spence

 

Excused:  Ted Blank, Peter Bolstad, Mike MacDonald, Jack Roberts, Matt Streitt, Betsy Wehrwein

 

       I.          Call to Order                                                                                                               

 

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m.

 

     II.          Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda                                                                 

 

        No changes made to agenda as posted.  

 

    III.          COMMUNITY SECTION 

                                                                                  

        A.    Board Chair Report

 

Jon Knox reported that Sholom Home had been sold to a group, Traditions, LLC, with intention to use as an adult senior assisted living facility.  A June 30 zoning board meeting notice was sent to nearby neighbors. 

B. Treasurer’s Report

Penny Spence reported District 10’s finances are in good shape, with cash reserves of close to $30,000.  However, there have been some mistakes in the unaudited finances lately, she is trying to correct.  She also stated a group is needed to begin looking at fundraising.

C.  Board and Community Vote: Best Western

 

Kim Moon presented a request from Bandana Square Best Western to serve liquor, through the Land Use Committee. The plan is that it will go only until 9:00 p.m. at night.  Panod Klongtruatroke moved to close session.  Seconded by Barbara Clark.  Kim Moon moved to approve the action item; seconded by Chris Harkness.  Unanimously approved by acclaimation.   Community vote:  12 yes, 1 no. 

 

D.  Board and Community Vote: Albany Avenue

 

Chris Harkness explained the situation leading to an action item from the Land Use Committee to change alley between Albany and Como Avenue and Snelling Avenue.  Community members have been working with City traffic planners on the issue.

 

Jon Knox asked community members to speak for a minute or less.  Some community members spoke in favor of westward-only traffic.  Safety issues impact seniors and other residents.  State Fair time brings out more speeding drivers.   Some spoke against the one-way proposal, based on utility vehicle usage for commercial properties, or for other reasons, such as maneuvering in the winter.  Other options were proposed.

 

Panod Klongtruatroke moved to close community discussion.  Seconded by Kim Moon.  Board vote:  7 yes, 1 abstain.

 

Community vote:  3 yes, 11 no.  District 10 will not send a letter in favor of one-way. 

 

E.  Gabe’s in the Park Expansion Discussion

 

The representative of Gabe’s spoke in favor of waiving a 45-day community notification process in order to expand patio space, pending City Council approval.  Twelve additional seats facing the north/parking lot area will bring in more revenue and accommodate persons desiring to dine on the patio.   

 

Chris Harkness moved to encourage the City to waive the 45-day period, seconded by Kim Moon.  Board members in favor:  8.  Motion passes unanimously.

 

Panod Klongtruatroke moved to amend agenda to discuss the Kilmer Fireplace under item F., Community Discussion.   Approved.

 

F.  Community Discussion

 

Teri Heyer spoke about fireplace and pool vandalism.  A letter from District 10 is proposed to be sent to City Parks & Rec. to improve security around Como Woodlands.  The fireplace was recently vandalized with $10,000 in damage.  He request would be to improve lighting and prevent future vandals.

 

Marsha Milgrom moved to support the letter to Parks & Rec., seconded by Barbara Clark.  Motion passed unanimously.

 

Discussion about Back to the 50’s the past weekend.  Some observers from the community noticed improvement with regard to early morning noise.  Parking was enforced.  Signage could be improved to give visitors better notification. Suggestion was made to include neighborhood information in participants’ registration packets.  Dolores Rufenacht mentioned the need for a post-event meeting with the State Fair, MN Street Rod Association, Russ Stark and District 10 Neighborhood Relations Committee to discuss how things went and parking signage for next year.

 

   IV.          BOARD BUSINESS SECTION                                                                                   

 

A.     Review/Amend/Approve Minutes & Financial Statements

 

Motion to approve minutes by Kim Moon, seconded by Panod Klongtruatroke.  Passed unanimously.

 

B.     Staff Report (Jessie Bronk)

 

Jessie Bronk reported Penny Spence had the 990 form ready for approval.  Request was made to review the form via email for submitting by July 15.

 

A financial management workshop takes place provided by the City in July.

 

Garage Sale results indicated levels of satisfaction in the 70’s and 80’s for the sale.  The largest concern was the rain that occurred.  Income net was $223. 

 

The July 15-17 Staycation is coming up.  Volunteers are still needed for a bike tour and additional events, as well as promotional flyering in advance of the event, etc.

 

Block Leader Google group has been very successful.  At the next quarterly meeting, Jessie will lead discussion about the goal of groups, roles, participation, etc. 

 

C.     Como Park Advisory Committee Update

 

Minutes of this new committee will soon be posted on the City’s web page.  District 10 representative Paul Kolias plans to attend the July meeting.  Permit parking and shuttle use are proposed topics on agenda for the next meeting.

 

D.  Future Fundraising Committee

 

Penny Spence is seeking participants and a person to chair this new committee.  Jody McArdle would like to help with grantwriting.  There is also talk about integrating it into the Neighbor Relations Committee.

 

E.  Committee Updates

 

a. Land Use

 

Chris Harkness proposed collaborating with Safety Committee on the one-way Albany request.  Neighbors will remain interested in finding solutions to the alley problem.  Additionally, the minutes reflect other items and concerns brought to committee.

 

b. Environment

 

The committee is still seeking participants for the upcoming Garden Tour.

 

c.  Neighbor Relations – in minutes

d.  Safety

 

Safety Committee continues to seek volunteers for the Staycation for Fri. and Sat.  Additionally, the minutes reflect other items and concerns.

 

        e. Communications – in minutes

 

        f.  Bylaws

 

        The next meeting will be posted on the calendar prior to meeting date July 21.

 

     V.          Adjourn                                                                                                                       

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00.

 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC