Minutes - October 5, 2015

Como Community Council--District 10

Land Use Committee

Monday, October 5, 2015

Street Car Station

 

MINUTES

 

Present: Kim Moon, Chris Harkness, Kevin Dahm, Frank Dolejsi, Linda Hinderscheit, Amy Perna, David Sorenson, Jon Heyer and Michael Kuchta

 

Absent: Bill Sylvester

 

Call to Order:  Kim Moon called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m. 

 

Adoption of Agenda:Motion to approve the agenda (Dolejsi-Sorenson) Passed.

 

Approval of Minutes:Motion: Approve the minutes of the 08/31/2015meeting. (Moon-Perna) Passed.

 

Chair Report: This coming Wednesday, Ramsey County will hold a public meeting on the pedestrian-bicycle plan at the Roseville Public Library. Kim met with Councilperson Amy Brendmoen regarding possible upcoming City projects in District 10. A pedestrian-bicycle plan specific to Como Park is being worked on. There is an appendix specific to preferred bike routes specific to District 10 in the proposed District Plan. Michael Kuchta provided some additional background to the Grand Rounds bicycle plan, including public hearings. Councilperson Brendmoen is trying to find funding to restore the fountain in Como Park. HyVee grocery stores might be buying the old Linder's site. The City has limited fundraising runs around Como Park to one per year per vendor. Kim raised the possibility with Councilmember Brendmoen regarding a CIB proposal regarding a Hamline Ave. bridge over the railroad tracks.

 

Peddling During the State Fair:  Mark Erickson was present to talk about his continuing concerns regarding peddling on Midway Parkway during the Fair. There was a group, who did not have a peddlers' license, selling CDs. It has become noisier after dark, disturbing neighbors. Toward the end of the Fair, the police told all the peddlers to clear away, which they did, but other residents reported that they went to other locations in the neighborhood around the Fairgrounds.  Mr. Erickson stated that he just wants the existing ordinance to be enforced. Kim suggested that interested parties make an appt. with DSI to meet on the first day of the Fair to point out what is going on that is not in line with the existing ordinance. Kim will contact Russ Stark's office to set up a joint meeting with DSI to discuss neighborhood concerns.

 

Yard Advertising in State Fair Overlay District: Jim Fowler was present to talk about inconsistent enforcement of the code limiting advertising with the intent to rent out yards to vendors during the Fair. He was told that he needed to take his "vendors wanted" sign down, which he did, and no vendor rented his yard. His neighbors did have signs in their yards--and got vendors, including the necessary permit from the City. He is looking to revise the city zoning code to allow advertising for vendors in the State Fair overlay before the Fair. This would need to be brought to the City Council. Kim will talk to Russ Stark's office about adding this issue to the agenda for the aforementioned meeting with DSI. 

 

German Immersion School Sound Variance: The German Immersion School is looking for a sound variance for Saturday, October 10th from 11:00 to 2:00.  No one from the school was present at tonight's meeting. We are not taking any action in support or opposition.

 

Discuss revised work plan: We discussed how to take action (and who would be responsible) for some of the items on the revised work plan.

Motion: Approve the revised Land Use Committee work plan, which reflects suggestions made in the District Plan (Moon-Dahm) Passed

 

Zoning Variance Request:  Kathryn Weese was present to talk about her request for a zoning variance to have a curb cut & parking pad installed in her front yard. Kim described his conversation with zoning, in which they indicated that they would probably deny the variance request. There was a driveway from the street to an attached garage at the back of the house that was built around 1915.  This driveway was officially vacated when a new 2-1/2 car garage was built with alley access in 1998 but the homeowners continued parking in the old driveway.  She has been parking there for 23 years. The street is under construction, which will add curbs to the street where none existed before.  This will make it almost impossible to gain access to the old driveway area.  The City is not planning to put in a curb cut to her vacated driveway. Chris Harkness reported that the City will not install street curb cuts if there is alley access. Kevin presented the argument that they might lose property value if the original garage does not have driveway access.  Another argument presented was that not having a driveway to the original garage would render part of her house un-usable as originally constructed. It is being used for storage purposes, not as another room for the house. Ms. Weese reported that the neighbors have been contacted and have been supportive. Chris suggested that they take photos of the property to their meeting with zoning. There is another house in the neighborhood with a similar situation and the City is reportedly installing a curb cut at that address.

 

Motion: Support the petition of Ms. Weese for a zoning variance.  (Harkness-Dolejsi) Passed.

 

New Business: Michael Kuchta reported that there is a meeting tomorrow regarding changing the requirements for restaurants for the dollar amount of food sales necessary in order to sell liquor. Currently the requirement is 60/40 ($food/$liquor). The proposal is to require less in food sales.

 

Adjourn: Motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:26 p.m.

 

Next Meeting: The next meeting is Monday, November 2, 2015, at the Street Car Station.

 

Future meeting dates: 11/30

 

Minutes recorded by Linda R. Hinderscheit, Committee Member

These minutes are not official until approved.

 

 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC