Minutes 01/21/2014
Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:10 PM

District 10 Como Community Council Board Meeting

Historic Street Car Station

1224 Lexington Parkway, Saint Paul, MN  55108

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

7:00 PM



I. Call to Order: Chairperson Jon Knox called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

II. Board Introductions:

Present: Jon Knox, Chris Harkness, Linda Hinderscheit, Pete Bolstad, Patrick Tschida, Kim Moon, Tom Eyre, Mary Michalski, Bill Lipkin, and Curt Stock

Absent: Debra Pursley, Julie Tholen, Frank Dolejsi, Dana Saeger, and Tedd James

Staff Present: Ted Blank

III. Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda:

Motion: Approve the agenda (Moon-Michalski) Passed


A. Special Election: Seats are currently open for an at-large position and one position from Sub-district 4. No nominations were received prior to this meeting, and there were no nominations from the floor tonight.

B. Board Chair Report: Jon Knox reported that Traditions of St. Paul has been clearing their sidewalks after some neighborhood complaints. Ted Blank has spoken with the current owners, who indicated that they are still working on obtaining financing for an assistive living facility. They hope to break ground in spring or summer. 

C. Treasurer's Report: Tom Eyre reported that we ended the year with more revenue than expenses. This was primarily due to more fundraising; more income from ComoFest; and the administrative staff position being unfilled for several weeks in early 2013. We are looking good for 2014; rent expenses will be considerably less. 

D. Miscellaneous Community Discussion: None



A. Review/Amend/Approve Minutes and Financial Statements:

Motion: Approve tonight's financial statements and minutes of the 12/17/2013 meeting (Moon-Bolstad). Passed.

B. Staff Report: Ted Blank reported that we have completely used the full amount of city and COPP grants for 2013. The books are closed for 2013; nothing is outstanding. Ted is working on 2014 grant applications and still needs some information from committees and the community survey. It is his goal to have the grants ready to be approved at the February Executive Committee meeting. The German Immersion School is hosting a community meeting to discuss concerns on 1/28/14. They would like to have a representative from District 10 attend and become part of their ongoing neighborhood committee. Parking has improved somewhat, but traffic during drop-off and pick-up continues to be problematic. Metro Transit will host a BRT Snelling Ave. open house on 1/23 at the Roseville Library. One topic will be the frequency of stops. There is currently no stop between Larpenteur and Como Avenues proposed. Route 83 (Lexington) has been extended to the HarMar Target. A copy of the proposed district council boundary change ordinance was distributed in the board packet for this meeting. Ted encourages us to weigh in on the proposal. The City Council will probably consider the ordinance sometime after May 2014. The City is moving toward funding some of the changes recommended by the Transportation Implementation Plan. It is one of the City's priorities. 

C. 2014 Budget: Tom Eyre reported that the 2014 budget is about 80% complete. The Executive Committee will discuss it at the next meeting. The goal is to have it ready to present to the full board at the February meeting. 

D. Committee Updates:

a. Land Use: Kim Moon reported that at our next meeting we will discuss a variance request from the TV station on Como Ave. We will also start discussing the use of the restaurant space at the Pavilion. The City has indicated that they would like our input, so we should be prepared to give it to them.  

b. District Plan ad hoc Committee: Chris Harkness reported that the committee is in the process of drafting the chapter on transportation. At the Feb. 10th meeting, they will discuss bike routes. The City of St. Paul released a new citywide plan today. 

c. Neighborhood Relations and Safety: Mary Michalski reported that the committee has identified target areas and dates. Pancake Breakfast is 10/25. Como WalkAbout is a new event scheduled every Saturday morning at 9:00 at the Lake. The NRSO would like to expand the Sunday Series to the fall. Proposed events to welcome South Como include: 1.) Social hour/listening hour, perhaps at Gabes (late Feb/early March) 2.) Ice Cream Social/Flamingo Friday on Friday June 13th. 

d. Environment Committee: Dana Saeger was not present tonight. Ted Blank reported that they have finished planning for the Sunday Series. The first one is 2/23. They are looking into some new initiatives, such as a Habitat corridor, in which people would plant vegetation friendly to birds, insects and wildlife.

e. Como Regional Park Advisory Committee: Pete Bolstad reported that the committee discussed the removal of over 200 ash trees to control the emerald ash borer. This is scheduled to begin in April or May. The time span for the project will probably be 2-3 weeks. Thirty percent of the trees along Lexington will be removed. The City will plant replacement trees, most likely Kentucky coffee trees and hackberry trees. Twin Town PediCabs wants to expand to Como Park. PediCabs need to use city streets; they can't use bike paths. The Committee will continue to try to get more members. The only organization, which responded to the recent request, was Ramsey County. Como Pool hopes to improve the entrance to the pool to reduce congestion. The Pedestrian Bridge bids have been received; the City hopes to make a decision by the end of the month. 

f. Executive Committee: Chris Harkness attended the meeting on the outsourcing of Como and Phalen Golf Course operations to Prom. She reported it was well  attended. Attendees were disappointed that the City had already made the decision and also expressed disappointment in the communication from the City. Union staff from the affected golf courses will likely be moved to other City positions, possibly not related to golf. The contract with Prom will be 5 years; a variance will be needed as standard contracts with outside vendors specify two years. It appears that the City will continue to hold the liquor license. 

VI. Adjourn: Motion to adjourn was made at 7:49 p.m. Passed.

Respectfully submitted by Linda R. Hinderscheit, Secretary

These minutes were approved on 2/18/2014. 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC