Minutes 03/19/2013
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:55 PM

 

District 10 Como Community Council Board Meeting

Historic Street Car Station

1224 Lexington Parkway N, Saint Paul, MN  55108

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

7:00 PM

MINUTES

I. Call to Order: Chairperson Jon Knox called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.

II. Board Introductions

Present: Jon Knox, Chris Harkness, Ted Blank, Linda Hinderscheit, Kim Moon, Tom Eyre, Mary Michalski, Dick Dian, Curtis Stock, Tedd James, Pete Bolstad, and Dana Saeger

Absent: Jackie Gulbranson, Laurie Erickson

Staff Present: none

III. Review, Amend, Appoval of Agenda:  Motion: Approve the agenda with the addition of the transit advisory committee after CRPAC report in Board Business section (Moon-Bolstad) Passed

IV. COMMUNITY SECTION:

A. Board Chair Report: Sholom Home/Traditions sidewalk has not been cleared consistently in the past month or so. Jon Knox contacted Rhett McSweeney, who said that there was a misunderstanding with the company contracted to do so. 

B. Treasurer's Report: We are tracking well with our budget and expenses. We have not had a staff person on the payroll for a month; those savings will be reflected in the March financial statements. Our city grants have been sent to the City for their final signature. Camille Schafer has completed grant reimbursements for January and February; these will be submitted after we receive the signed contracts back from the City. Our cash balance of $28,300 is strong, representing seven months of cash on hand. We had no fundraising activities undertaken in February, so we remain short of our fundraising goal for the year 

C. Sub-district 3 Election: Debra Pursley has submitted an application for the open position on the board. 

Motion: Elect Debra Pursley to the open sub-district 3 position on the board by acclimation.  (Harkness-Dian) Passed.

D. Miscellaneous Community Discussion: none

V. BOARD BUSINESS SECTION:

A. Review/Amend/Approve Minutes and Financial Statements:  Motion: Approve tonight's financial statements and minutes of the 2/19/2013 meeting (Moon-Dian) Passed.

B. Staff Hiring Process Update:  The Executive Committee will interview four candidates for the staff position this Saturday, March 23. Eighteen applications were received. 

C. Como Regional Park Advisory Committee (CRPAC): CRPAC meeting was not held this past month. The next meeting is the second Tuesday in April. 

D. Metro Rapid Transit Community Advisory Committee (CAC): Metro Transit is looking for two representatives from District 10. Jon reported that three people have requested applications. Applications are sent directly to the MTC, so we are not sure if all three people have submitted the applications.  Jon indicated that two of the people who requested the applications were Kathy Stock and Marcia Milgrom. 

Motion: The Board recommends Kathy Stock and Marcia Milgrom to the CAC (Moon-Bolstad) Passed

E. Como Fest Update/D10 Involvement Level: The money collected from Como Fest participants is for promotional materials. When we know how much the printing of flyers and posters will cost, we can determine how much money we will need to collect from participants. Jon indicated that he is comfortable having D10 act as the collector of the money and the payor of the promotional materials’ bills. Jon indicated that Yoga in the Park would need to be treated differently than the rest of Como Fest participants, because Yoga in the Park continues through the entire summer, with money collected at the Yoga sessions themselves. The Job Corps Center wants to know if an intern could assist with Como Fest social media and other District 10 tasks and be housed in the D10 office.  Jon wants to wait until the new staff person is hired to make that decision. Each night of Como Fest will have a designated area for activities.  No one has approached North Dale Rec Center to participate. If it's too late for this year, Chris Harkness suggested we consider inviting North Dale next year.   Tom suggested getting some marketing out well in advance, such as a street banner. Mary suggested the use of social media. 

F. Quarterly Newsletter: Ted Blank gave a run down on articles that were proposed or already submitted for the April 11 newsletter. 

G. D6 and D10 Boundary: The D6-D10 boundary is on the consent agenda (no public comment) for the City Council meeting tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. The effective date of the boundary change will be January 1, 2014. The resolution calls for the City of St. Paul to work with the District Councils to determine a clearer process for proposed boundary changes in the future. District councils will be asked for their input. Pete Bolstad (current board member) and David Arbeit (former board chair and a member of the most recent Bylaws revision committee) have agreed to be co-chairs of the District 10 ad hoc committee. The committee needs to convene and draft a charter. We will vote on the establishment of the ad hoc committee at the April meeting of the Board.

H. CIB Rankings/Citywide Projects: The 2014-2015 District Council Priority List for CIB Proposals was distributed. Each board member has 20 points and can assign them to CIB projects however we wish.  Board members will individually rank proposals and submit their rankings to Ted Blank by 5:00 p.m. on March 25th.

Motion: Send a letter of support from the Land Use chair for the Hamline-Midway library sign CIB proposal. (Moon-Stock) Passed.  (Discussion was held at the February 19 meeting of the Council.)

I. 2013 Contracts: Jon has signed the contracts and they have been returned to the City for the required signatures. 

J. Donation Collection at D10-sponsored Events:  The Environment Committee felt that because the Sunday Series events were advertised as free, there should not be donations solicited.  In the future, we will include a statement about free will donations accepted in marketing materials for D10 public events. The Sunday Series events provide us the best opportunity for fundraising at our typical committee-sponsored events.  

K. Annual Elections:  The annual elections will be held at our April 16th meeting per our latest Bylaws revision.  Positions up for election/re-election are: Chair (Jon Knox), Secretary (Linda Hinderscheit), subdistrict 1 (Laurie Erickson), subdistrict 2 (Tom Eyre), subdistrict 3 (Dick Dian) and two at-large positions (Pete Bolstad and Dana Saeger). Jon would like to know the intent of the current board members by March 25. Bios are due April 2nd and should be submitted to the Executive Committee. D10 residents and business representatives who want to vote in the annual elections can sign up at the meeting. 

L. Committee Updates:

a. Land Use: Kim Moon reported that the Como Town zip line ride proposal was on the agenda of the last meeting. Because we were expecting significant interest from the neighborhood, the location of the meeting was changed to the Street Car Station. However, there were only two community members, other than the committee members and presenters from Como Town, in attendance---and those two community members were spouses of committee members. The meeting had been announced twice in the D10 e-newsletter. Pete Bolstad and Kim reiterated that one of our goals should be to get Como Park and Lancer, Inc. to work with District 10 and give us enough lead time to get community input. A decision will be made soon whether or not the CRPAC will continue or will be folded into a more general advisory committee on parks. The board generally felt that CRPAC should continue in its present form. Triesta Brown was in attendance at tonight’s meeting and reported that District 6 felt the same way. The Parks Commission makes the final decision. Pete Bolstad, alternate to CRPAC, will take that information back to the next CRPAC meeting (see motion below).

Motion: District 10 believes that CRPAC should continue in a form similar to the present form with district council representation (Bolstad-Harkness). Passed.

Kim Moon had submitted two action items in the board packet:

Motion: Approve the letter of support for CIB funding for North Dale and Phalen Ice Rinks (Moon-Dian). Passed. 

Motion: Approve the letter of support for construction of the Soaring Eagle zip line ride at Como Town (Moon-Blank). Passed with two abstentions.

Kim reminded people to submit photos for the false windows at Walgreens. They have agreed to put pictures of Como Park in some of the false windows. 

b. District Plan ad hoc Committee: Chris Harkness reported that the ad hoc committee met. Chris has completed the COPP fund application from Ward 4. There will be a community meeting focused on transportation and parking on the second Monday of May. 

c. Neighborhood Relations and Safety: Mary Michalski reported that the STAR grant for the Hamline-Nebraska intersection was not funded. NRS committee plans to open up part of a future committee meeting to get community input on traffic calming. A bike rodeo will be held on April 27nd at Black Bear Crossings. Tedd James has helmets that he is willing to donate.  The committee is continuing to work on Como Fest. 

d. Executive Committee: Jon Knox reiterated that the EC has been working on the hiring process.

e. Environment Committee: Curt Stock submitted an action item requesting D10 manage a POWER Grant, which Betti Iwanski and Janna Caywood propose to write. The intent of the grant is to provide education on waste reduction and recycling. Betty Iwanski was present to describe the project. The purpose of the POWER grant is to increase the amount that communities recycle and reduce waste. Education materials are available from the PCA and the County's Rethink Recycling website. Only non-profits are eligible to apply for the grant. A risk for D10 as a fiscal agent is the requirement for insurance. If the volunteers go into someone's home, and there are at-risk populations present, they need to have a background check. Ted Blank explained that in the case of this grant, D10 would be the grantee. D10 would be responsible for hiring Janna and Betti to do the work and would be responsible for all the administrative work required for that. Jon Knox pointed out that administering this grant would require additional staff hours, that we currently do not have. D10 would be responsible for making sure the work of the grant is being accomplished. Curt Stock reported that Councilmember Stark was excited that someone from the area was planning to write a grant. The Environment Committee supports the concept. The effort assumes the involvement of block club leaders, but they have not yet been contacted to see if they are interested in participating. We need to know if the Community POWER program will waive the requirement for $1.5 million insurance. Jon is hesitant to approve this without staff in place.  Applications are due by April 1, 2013. Grants are awarded every two years. Linda Hinderscheit expressed the opinion that there are too many unknown variables to make this happen in this short amount of time. This is a great idea, but we need more time to put together a good proposal, have it in writing, and get our questions answered and concerns addressed.  

Motion: Approve the request for D10 to be a fiscal agent for the POWER grant. (Stock-Saeger). Did not pass (4 voting for and 8 voting against).

The Citywide cleanup is scheduled for April. The Sunday Series this Sunday is on the Trolley Car system.  The final Sunday Series presentation is on gardening. 

VI. Adjourn: Motion to adjourn was made at 8:53 p.m. (Moon-Hinderscheit) Approved. 

Respectfully submitted by Linda R. Hinderscheit, Secretary

These minutes were approved on 4/16/2013

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC