District 10 Environment Committee
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Attendees: Betti Iwanski, Sharon Shinomiya, Val Cunningham, Dana Saeger, Mike MacDonald, Janna Caywood, Anne Kulenkamp, Bill Sylvester, Ted Blank, Susan Jane Cheney.
Committee Chair Dana Saeger called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Attendees introduced themselves.
Minutes from the May meeting were approved. Dana will post meeting agendas and minutes on the District website.
Dana provided an update on the driving-and-parking-on-the-grounds-and-grass issue discussed at the May meeting. District 10 Board Member Pete Bolstad brought up the issue at the Como Park Regional Park Advisory Committee (CRPAC) meeting on 6/11, and it was discussed at the June Board meeting, where the proposal to send a letter supporting more stringent enforcement of rules regarding vehicles was turned down prior to more thorough understanding of existing Parks event policies. Current events contracts do restrict driving and parking on grass to support vehicles and also require repair of any turf damage by contractees. Use of plywood sheets as parking platforms and display of events permits were suggested as potential improvement measures.
1. A representative of Co-op Energy Futures will attend the July meeting regarding a low- or no-cost insulation and weatherization program with a neighborhood block club approach. Betti Iwanski will be meeting with the presenter prior to the meeting, and Janna Caywood and South Como representative may also join the discussion.
2. Como Fest:
· District 10 will share an informational table at the Saturday (7/20) event to be held at Church of Holy Childhood. Janna plans to help staff the table. Susan Jane Cheney will work with Ted Blank on preparation of Environment Committee brochures and sign-up sheets for the table.
· Betti will work with Eureka Recycling on a demonstration of their Preventing Wasted Food program at the Saturday venue.
· Ted Blank announced that additional volunteers are needed for the Saturday events and as well as for events on the Lyngblomstem campus on Thursday (7/18) and at kid-focused activities at Chelsea Heights Rec Center on Friday (7/19) evening.
· Val Cunningham reported that 16 gardens will be featured in the self-guided Garden Tour (10:00 - 2:00 on Saturday). An on-line map will be available for downloading.
3. Bat houses:
Dana reported that a District 10 Board and Neighborhood Relations Committee member has proposed the idea of a bat house construction workshop, perhaps as a District fundraiser. The possibility was discussed, and all agreed that bat experts will need to be involved.
4. Dana encouraged reading of the Executive Summary regarding land use and environmental impacts of the West Midway Area Industrial Strategy at the Open Saint Paul website: http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentCenter/View/65702.
· Val brought up the need for new volunteers to take over maintenance of the Como Lakeside Pavilion Garden, which has been a joint project of the Committee and St. Paul Audubon since 2008. After some discussion, there was consensus that the best solution would be a new crew of avid gardening volunteers, possibly from the South Como area that will be added to the District next year. Val will send Ted a “job description” for a potential new coordinator that he will send out to the community.
· Betti reported on potential dates she acquired from Eureka Recycling for the Food Waste Workshops: Tuesday, 9/24 at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, 10/4 at 3:00 p.m. Workshops will take place at the Streetcar Station. Target attendance is 25 participants at $5.00 per person. More information will be available at the Eureka website as well as at Como Fest. Ted will send out e-blasts in advance of the workshop dates.
· Janna reported that the Como Curbside Clean-up will take place for an entire month – rather than a shorter period – this fall. An alternate formula (to a bag count) for estimating effectiveness will be available this year.
Environment Committee member Chet Mirocha will lead a Tree Trek, highlighting a number of Como Park tree species, on Saturday, June 22nd. Meet at the Como Carousel at 10 a.m. The free tour will end at the Como Lakeside Pavilion.
Como Woodland Outdoor Classroom (CWOC)
Environment Committee liaison to the Como Woodland Advisory Committee (CWAC), Susan Jane Cheney reported that she plans to attend the next meeting, including a potluck picnic, scheduled for Monday, June 24th, 6 p.m. at the Woodland. At that time, she will check into recent Woodland tree or shrub plantings.
For more information about the CWOC, check their website: www.comowoodland.org.
Capitol Region Watershed District (CRWD)
CRWD Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC) members Mike MacDonald and Janna Caywood reported that the June CAC meeting consisted of a tour of six recent projects incorporating CRWD requirements for stormwater treatment measures.
For more information about the CRWD, check the website: www.capitolregionwd.org.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
[Meeting summary prepared by Susan Jane Cheney]