MInutes 10-21-2014
Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:30 AM

District 10 Como Community Council Board Meeting

Historic Street Car Station

1224 Lexington Parkway, Saint Paul, MN  55108

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

7:00 PM

MINUTES

 

I. Call to Order: Chairperson Jon Knox called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.

II. Board Introductions:

Present: Jon Knox, Chris Harkness, Linda Hinderscheit, Debra Pursley, Pete Bolstad, Dana Saeger, Kim Moon, Mary Michalski, Bill Lipkin, Ryan Flynn, John Medeiros, Frank Dolejsi, and Tedd James

Absent: Kevin Dahm, Julie Tholen, Patrick Tschida, and Curt Stock

Staff Present: Ted Blank (on staff part time until the new staff person is officially hired)

III. Review, Amend, Approval of Agenda:

Motion: Approve the agenda (Moon-Flynn) Passed

IV. COMMUNITY SECTION:

A. Board Chair Report: Jon Knox reported that Ted Blank has started his new position as Executive Director with the Forest Lake Chamber of Commerce. Interviews for the staff position took place this past Saturday. The results will be discussed later in tonight’s meeting.

B. Treasurer's Report: Julie Tholen was not present at tonight's meeting, but had sent August and September reports for the board packet. Ted Blank reported that our income is running ahead of expenses. We may end up with an excess of approximately $6,500 in city grant money by the end of the year and need to monitor that closely. 

C. Speaker: Board member, Frank Dolejsi, made a presentation on the COMO COMPOSTS power grant/Ramsey County organic composting program. Organics are accepted at all yard waste sites, except Arden Hills. There is a special container for organics. Organic waste includes bones, meats, and paper products that are not accepted curbside. The county provides the bags, which are distributed through the D10 office. The bags themselves do deteriorate and compost.

D. Miscellaneous Community Discussion: Mark Erickson, who lives near Snelling and Midway Parkway, was present at tonight's meeting along with his neighbor. He is concerned about the number of peddlers, who operate near the Fairgrounds, selling wares along the streets and sidewalks. He distributed some information about City restrictions on peddlers. He stated that peddlers during the Fair are operating in conflict with the City restrictions on peddling, but the restrictions are not being enforced. Enforcement should come though the Department of Safety and Inspections. Mr. Erickson believes they are having an impact on the sales of the vendors who are operating legally. Jon suggested that Mr. Erickson gather some documented support from his neighbors. Any recommendations from D10 should come through the Land Use Committee. Jon suggested getting someone from the City to attend the Land Use meeting at which this is discussed. 

Chris Harkness announced that the community garden committee would appreciate the use of a heavy-duty tiller in order to get the ground turned up this fall. Tedd James reported that the State Fair has a large tiller. 

V. BOARD BUSINESS SECTION:

A. Review/Amend/Approve Minutes and Financial Statements:

Motion: Approve August and September financial statements and minutes of the 09/16/2014 meeting (Pursley-James). Passed.

B. Staff Report: Ted Blank had no formal staff report. He is wrapping things up and checking email and voice mail for time-sensitive items. Ted will continue to help the ad hoc District Plan Committee. He will help train the new staff person in.

C. Committee Updates:

a. Land Use: Kim Moon reported that the last meeting did not have any items of discussion other than the Dale Street ad hoc Committee. Kim suggested we keep the reconstruction of the Kellogg bridge on our radar, because its reconstruction will involve a considerable amount of City of St. Paul funds. 

b. Dale Street ad hoc Committee: The first meeting of the joint D10-D6 committee is this coming Thursday, October 23, at 6:30 at North Dale Rec Center. District 6 has not yet chosen a co-chair. They expect to choose one at the meeting. 

c. District Plan ad hoc Committee: Chris Harkness reported the Environment committee is reviewing the environment section of the draft of the District Plan. She hopes to have a draft of the Plan for the board to review soon. 

d. Neighborhood Relations and Safety: Mary Michalski reported that the Pancake breakfast is this Saturday. We have a couple of spots that could still use volunteers. Serving starts at 8:30. A topic of discussion at NRSO lately has been traffic calming. Linda Hinderscheit suggested having traffic calming as a Sunday Series topic. This Sunday, there will be a Sunday Series presentation on the St. Paul Saints. 

e. Environment Committee: Dana Saeger reported that the September minutes are in the board packet. A Home Energy Fair was recently held and was well attended. The committee would like to hold this event again next year. 

i. Action Item: Support of resolution regarding the implementation of the City of St. Paul's recycling program. The draft resolution was brought to the committee by Roger Meyer. The resolution asks the City to adhere to its original proposal for expanding recycling, including organics and the use of wheeled carts. The Environment Committee passed a motion to bring the resolution to the board by an 8-to-1 margin. 

Motion: Send a letter to the City of St. Paul to express concern and dismay at the delay of the implementation of the recycling plan and to move forward with the plan as soon as it is fiscally responsible to do so. (Flynn-Bolstad) Passed.

f. Como Regional Park Advisory Committee: Pete Bolstad reported that there was no meeting of the advisory committee this past month. The next meeting will be held in January. Work has started on the removal of old paths and construction of new paths leading to the historic pedestrian bridge. The brush has been removed from the area around the bridge. The bridge construction is due to be completed in fall 2015. The large meeting area in the Street Car Station will be used as a construction office, so if we plan to use the area for meetings, we need to request a permit. Chris reported to Pete that the Palm lot indicator on the dynamic parking signs is still wrong. 

g. Executive Committee:  Jon Knox reported that Alison Kirgis was offered the job as Administrator/Coordinator, and she accepted. She is scheduled to come in this Friday afternoon to meet with Ted, starting in the office next week. Ted will assist with the transition. 

Motion: Approve the hiring and salary for Alison Kirgis as the new Administrator/Coordinator for District 10. (Flynn-Harkness) Passed. 

VI. ADJOURN: Motion to adjourn was made at 8:47 p.m. Passed.

Respectfully submitted by Linda R. Hinderscheit, Secretary

These minutes were approved on November18, 2014 

District 10 Como Community Council | 1224 Lexington Pkwy N, Saint Paul, MN 55103 | 651.644.3889 | district10 [at] district10comopark.org

Site donated by: Havens Design, Matt Schmitt Photography
and UrbanPlanet Software LLC